Hardware Error 124

Jenxy5

Honorable
Jul 31, 2013
Hi,

I have a Packard Bell ixtreme computer that I recently obtained as a free gift. It is fine except for one little nagging issue. When I start it it often will give me a BSOD with an error of 124. I realise that this is a hardware fault and difficult to trace. However, it is not too much of an issue. I can recognise that the problem is about to happen. The sound gets choppy and the whole thing starts to get less responsive. If I then restart it before it crashes it runs fine until it is turned off and allowed to cool down. I can leave it running for days with no problem. I have cleaned it and defluffed it. I have added a few extra bits, a Corsair 430 PSU to replace the old PB one which was frankly way too small. It also has an NVIDIA GT330 Graphics card rather than the original GT220 card. I have also put in a second SATA hard drive. This is the Hard Drive from my old computer with all stuff on it. However, this error used to occur before this hard drive was installed. Once it has been restarted I can use a stress test such as Prime 95 which it passes.

The error shows up in Latency Mon, Process Explorer and xperf. You can see an increasing level of interrupts as it builds towards its crash. However which bit of hardware is generating these I can't see. As I say once it has restarted there is no further problem until it has been turned right the way off and left alone for a few hours before turning it back on. The error happens intermittently, some days it doesn't occur. When it does it is after it has been running for 30 to 40 minutes.

All temperatures seem about normal, all the fans are working fine. As I am writing this CPUID Hardware Mon is showing TMPIN0 as 41C. TMPIN1 as 47C TMPIN2 as 24C. The four cores are at between 35 and 40. The graphics card is at 41C and the HDD at 47C.

The basic setup is
Intel Core 2 Quad Q8300 processor
Pakard Bell EG43M Mobo (A repackaged Acer.
6 GB of DDR2 RAM in 4 sticks
NVIDIA Geforce GT330 Graphics.
Corsair 430 PSU
A 1TB Western Digital Drive and 250 GB Seagate Drive.

All drivers are up to date. The OS in Windows 7 Professional 64 bit. Again all the Microsoft updates and service packs are installed. Nothing is overclocked.

I read somewhere that sometimes this error can arise as a computer temperature passes through a critical value. I did read that this may be a disc drive issue.

So my questions are
1. Is this likely to be a component issue. If so is it likely to be a disc drive, if not then what?
2. Is there a cure? I am not minded to go out and buy a new disc drive. Failing that I will just use my workround of restarting it before it crashes. I can recognise that time as the sound starts to get choppy.

socialassassin

Honorable
Feb 23, 2013
Not sure how much help this will be, but I get the 124 error when overclocking, increasing the CPU voltage resolves it.
It could be unrelated to this, I'm no expert when it comes to the BSOD error codes.

Jenxy5

Honorable
Jul 31, 2013
Thank you but I am not overclocking at all. The problem with 124 errors is that basically it means there is a hardware problem somewhere. But there is very little or indeed no information on which bit of hardware is causing it. I also don't really see why the computer will crash on a cold boot but not a warm restart.

But, I am willing to give it a go. How do you up the CPU voltage and by how much.