800$ Build need some Opinions/revisions.

222lu222

Honorable
Jun 19, 2013
Hey guys, i'm looking to build a custom rig. I have just gotten tired of my crappy Xbox 360 so I needed to upgrade. Preferably, I would like a quieter computer because the computer is in my room. I would like it to play a variety of games such as Total War: Shogun 2, The Elder Scrolls: Skyrim, Also League of legends (currently my favorite) Bioshock 1/2/Infinite, Mass Effect 1/2/3, Battfield 3, /4 when it comes out etc.) So mainly RTS, RPG, FPS, and maybe MMOs like SWTOR.
This is what i have so far, http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1lZsG
What do you guys think? I know people dont really lik OCZ power supplies but this is modular and 750w bronze for only 60$. It had some good reviews but i am not sure, what power supply would you change it with? I wanted it modular since it really will help out with cable management a lot. My total budget is 800$ including the OS for now but i think i get a discounted windows in my university. Also what parts would you change and why? What do you guys think about the case too? Thanks for the help guys and i really appreciate it!

Solution

haynesr07

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2013
Well you're spending a lot more on a power supply than you need to if you are on a budget. You need no where near 750w. I'd get a 550w if I were you.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139028

I have become a huge fan of Corsair in the last few months. They make excellent products.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811146102

Sinceyou're getting a cheap case, get something that has a bit of sturdiness to it. I like this case personally for a mid-tower.

Problem is that you have a 760, but honestly I have the 4gb, and I think you are wasting money on a 6-core. Mainly because you have 8 but two of them are disabled, getting 6. Grab a quad-core. I just went with a 4670k, but I love mine, and i spent quite a bit on my build.

If you knock Windows off you can upgrade your processor a bit. Maybe grab a 660ti or something IMHO.

EDIT: Also if you can get a 500-750gb Drive for les than 50, I'd go that route honestly. I haven't bought a drive other than my SSD in so long. A better option for Windows: Buy a broken laptop for acouple bucks that has windows 7 on it, use the license. Done deal.

222lu222

Honorable
Jun 19, 2013

That psu is more expensive then mine less watts and not even modular o_O, like the case and can you use a windows 7 liscense from a laptop on a desktop? Cuz i have a windows 7 laptop but dont know what you mean

haynesr07

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2013

Well the PSU is important. OCZ PSU's are "okay" but in my past experience, a crappy psu is worthless. I have a 750w pc power and cooling, and it has had a broken fan for the longest time. I just ordered my TX850M to be here today. But also, modular is ony important if aesthetics is very important, and in a mid-tower case; that's pretty hard to obtain.

The license thing works like this. It can only be active on one machine at a time. So if you buy a "broken" laptop or something, you can use that license for your desktop or whatever you're trying to use it for. For instance, I had a MSI laptop that had broke on me in the past 3-4 months. I reinstalled Windows 7 Home Premium to my desktop after I did my new build. I used that license. It will prompt you to call the automated service to activate it, but after that you are OK.

Solution