New Build - Connecting to Internet (and phantom connections)

G

My first time new build PC has a P8Z77-V LX motherboard and I have installed the Realtek LAN drivers.

In our house we rely on a router (Netgear) though for my previous, off the shelf PC, I got so fed up of the connection dropping I bought a Netgear Powerline Transmission system which, for those who don't know, connects via ethernet cable to the router, then plugs in to the mains circuit pumping the data through it, which is then intercepted by the other PLT plug whicch sends the data via ethernet into the PC.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Netgear-200Mbps-Powerline-Ethernet-Adapter/dp/B007JD6LBS

The new PC is meant to take the old one's place on this system but it won't properly find and connect to the router. It does however connect to the internet, though with a VERY slow speed and it loses this connection when the router is switched off. I can only imagine it is somehow using the Home Network via the router and getting a laptop it has identified to somehow send it data from the internet.

Under the 'Network' icon (the one nestled between the PC name and Internet under 'Network and Sharing Centre') it sees the router albeit by it's model name follwoed by '(gateway)' rather than the personalized name we assigned it which all other devices in the house see.

This has me utterly baffled, can anyone shed some light on the matter?

What is the new computer connected to and how? Are you in a single family house where the power lines are all on the same circuit? Are you talking about wifi connections, ethernet cable connections, a mix of the two? You said something about a "personalized name", do you mean the WiFi connection name?