HD 7970 3GB x2 or GTX 770 4GB

Aug 24, 2012
I'm looking to upgrade my current setup with two HD 6850s. The new GTX 770 seems to be a great buy at around $450 for the gigabyte version (4GB and a nice cooler) but on newegg the HD 7970 is selling for $330 after MIR. I don't have all the money in the world, but I could afford two 7970s, not two 770s though so I wanted your guys' opinion on what to do. Would it be worth an extra $210 to get the 7970s and deal with crossfire or should I play it safe and get the 770?

Either way I'm going to have to upgrade my mobo for pci express 3.0 and also, my psu is 750watts so that may be a factor too.

Higher end gpus from amd like that one are having issues with crossfire at the moment, and almost always one single card is better than 2 in crossfire. I would say for for the 770 and later on you can add a second if you get the money. At the moment one card would be a better idea.

Aug 24, 2012
Thanks for all the quick replies guys.
I was actually thinking the same thing, especially in the case of byogamingpc. I was looking at the gigabyte model.
Lonewolf7: My psu is made by corsair, so it's pretty solid.

I would be concerned that AMD promised a driver fix by the end of July for their Crossfire frame pacing problem. So far, the fix is nowhere in sight, and so at this point Crossfire is a waste of money.