AMD Athlon 750k overheating?

gamingfreak21

Honorable
Jul 31, 2013
Hello! I was wondering if my cpu is overheating on idle and if the temps are normal. I'm just confused about the CPU temperature and the 4 core temperature underneath the cpu label. This is with stock cooler by the way.
14x0vnn.png

I also tried Prime95 and these are the temps after 10 mins of stress testing.
28bcsir.png

Jaxem

Honorable
The CPU temp is the motherboard measuring at the socket, the cores are from sensors in the actual CPU that it is reporting, those are the ones to watch. Stock coolers are loud and hot, i'd throw a $20 CM Hyper 212 on there (if there's space) and you'll go down a significant amount i'd guess...and be much quieter.

gamingfreak21

Honorable
Jul 31, 2013

Ahh, thanks for the suggestion and informing me. I went into CPU-Z and saw that my cpu speed was clocked to 3.6ghz but the stock speeds are 3.4ghz. Is this also causing high temps?
2qixp51.png

gamingfreak21

Honorable
Jul 31, 2013

Is there any way to bring it back to it's stock cpu speed? Oh, how long would the stock cooler last with the idle and under load temperatures? I am planning to upgrade in the future . Thank you! ^_^

Jaxem

Honorable
Actually, i take it back, my go to information source didn't have any mention of turbo core on this CPU, so i assumed it didn't have it, but it in fact does, all the way up to 4.0 GHz. It looks like it's at boost state 1 in your screenshot (4.0 being state 2). you can disable turbo core in the bios if you want to, but it probably is idling at 3.4, turbo only kicks on if there's a lightly threaded task that would benefit.

those temps aren't bad per se, it's new CPU, so it's probably got many years left, we're not saying you'll only get 2 or 3 years out of it before it fries just because it's a little warm, but...it is a little warm.

gamingfreak21

Honorable
Jul 31, 2013

Ah, sweet! So gaming wouldn't be a problem with the temperatures, right? Thanks again for your help! :)

cmi86

Distinguished
I don't care what any of these guys are saying if your core temps are 56c at idle you have a serious problem. Unless you are living in an oven or the 7th level of hell I would suggest re applying your thermal paste and if that does not work purchasing an aftermarket cooler. My 6300 @ 4.5Ghz barely gets that hot after 24 hours of prime 95..

computer_nugget2

Distinguished

i know i was freaking out when i was hitting 52*C on my old ahtlon 64 3800+ while idling. i changed the thermal grease right away.