Virtualization Host / Encoding Rig

johnny2678

Honorable
Jul 31, 2013
Hi guys,
First time builder here and I'd love to get your thoughts on building a workhorse that I can use to spin up multiple virtual machines to prototype configurations for production enterprise software. The software can be memory intense so RAM is key - 64GB would be nice but at my price point I'm thinking 32GB will have to do. During off hours, I'd like a faster rig to encode my DVD/Bluray collection, which is taking up to 12-14 hours on my current lenovo i5 lappy. I'm not opposed to overclocking if it can speed up the encodes. I'm not much of a gamer so no consideration there. Oh, and 3+ monitor support is a must. Thanks in advance!

-John

Approximate Purchase Date: Aug 2013

Budget Range: $1200 (can go up to $1500 with compelling evidence of gains)

System Usage from Most to Least Important: hosting multiple (2-4) virtual machines to do enterprise application prototyping, encoding DVD/Bluray discs

Are you buying a monitor: No

Parts to Upgrade: new build

Do you need to buy OS: No (will be running a Linux variant)

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg

Parts Preferences: n/a

Overclocking: Maybe, if it helps with faster movie encodes

SLI or Crossfire: No

Your Monitor Resolution: n/a

Additional Comments: n/a

And Most Importantly, Why Are You Upgrading: new build

ps3hacker12

Distinguished
Ok, this is a demonstration of the ultra high end, you could OC that 3930K to get even better encoding results:
PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i7-3930K 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor ($499.99 @ Microcenter)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 120XL 86.2 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler ($39.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock X79 Extreme6 ATX LGA2011 Motherboard ($223.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Patriot Viper 3 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($234.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($85.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($44.99 @ Microcenter)
Power Supply: Antec High Current Gamer 620W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V / EPS12V Power Supply ($67.98 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus BW-12B1ST/BLK/G/AS Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer ($56.99 @ NCIX US)
Total: $1254.91
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-07-31 20:17 EDT-0400)

Its over your budget, but i was just shoing an example of a very high end encoding rig.

IT DOES NOT INCLUDE A GPU, it does need one to support 3 monitors however, but I don't know, will you be doing any GPU encoding? or just heavily CPU encoding?

I have included a bluray writer and a high end cooler as well as a 2TB drive.

I will reccommend a different system depending on what software you use and if it uses Cuda or raw GPU compute power or just raw CPU power. The best you can do is probably a dual Xeon based system.

johnny2678

Honorable
Jul 31, 2013
Thanks for the response! Everything I read tells me that GPU encoding just isn't there yet so I'll probably just stick with CPU encoding. Im using handbrake/ vidcoder. Curious about your thoughts for a basic video card that supports 3 monitors?

Also, the 3930k is an interesting choice over the newer Haswell. Does the two additional cores trump the newer chip?

Also, I'll prob need an SSD for the OS but I won't need a bluray drive ( have one ).

Thanks again!

ps3hacker12

Distinguished

Yeah, this is why i was interested in what software you use for handbrake, the 4770k is better at stock speeds, however when OCed, the 3930K pushes ahead:
xwvd.jpg

I don't think handbrake and videncoder can fully utilise the 6 cores and 12 threads, therefore is it worth the extra $200+ for better OC performance of the 3930k? No I personally don't think so anyway.

You could wait for Haswell-E based processors but thats going to be quite a long time from now, no point waiting it'll be the same situation again.

Its unfortunate however that the i7-4770k and LGA1150 boards only support up to 32GB of ram :/ so that would be another reason to go for a 3930k.

If you think you may need 64GB ram in the future, then theres no point restricting yourself with non-enthusiast boards

johnny2678

Honorable
Jul 31, 2013
Great Feedback... thanks!