Connecting a remote surveillance camera

gusswah

Honorable
Jul 31, 2013
I'm connecting a standard surveillance camera 350 feet from my house. I will bury the connecting cable in a PVC pipe. Should I use CAT5 or CAT6 cable, and do I need two? I can't find a clear answer for this.

I was thinking IP camera

CAT5e should work just fine over that distance.

you only need one per camera. two pairs are used for video, the other two can be used for either power or power and audio depending on the model of balun

gusswah

Honorable
Jul 31, 2013
Thanks for this, but you've lost me. The camera is video. (It's not for still images.) And there's only one camera.

As for the balun, you say, "You only need one per camera." But other sources say that a transmitter balun goes on the camera end, and the receiver balun goes on the other (computer) end. Do you agree?

Thanks.

Yes each side of the cable needs a balun, so one pair of balun.

There are three different kind of balun. The first only provide video, the second kind will transmit video and power for the camera, and the third will allow to transmit audio, video, and power.

gusswah

Honorable
Jul 31, 2013
Can you tell me which kind of balun I need? It's just a video surveillance camera that I want to view inside the house. There is already 110v at the camera.

Thanks.

Beachnative

Honorable
Jan 25, 2013
Is there a recorder for the camera system? Are these IP cameras?

I've run a camera (non IP) using Cat5 over 600' IC Real Time said you could run up to 1000' with no problems but I had to rerouter the wire due to the EMI from a 3 phase compressor.

HERE is what I had set up...the Flex series.

pricezilla

Honorable
Aug 3, 2013
Have you consider using wireless IP cameras? it might be a bit laggy compare to wired but you can save the hassle and cost to run the data cable. If it is not mission critical, wireless cameras might solve your problem. But from the distance, you might need repeater for the wireless signal to be boost.