Sign in with
Your question

CPU Replacement Question

Last response: in CPUs
August 1, 2013 5:34:56 AM

I'm a HEAVY PC gamer, and I've been planing on getting a new CPU to replace my really old one. I am going to get a FX-8350 x8 4.2 GHz, but I was wandering, how much of an fps increase can I expect, or if this if this is really even worth it, and instead just get a Phenom or FX 4 core CPU instead. If someone could give me a answer back it'd be appreciated thanks. FX-8350 (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009O7YUF6/ref=ox_sc_a...)

Radeon 7870 2gb 1200mhz OC
Athlon II 645 3.1 ghz
6GB DDR3 memory (RAM) Dual-kit 2000mhz
CM STORM SCOUT Case
Seasonic MII12 620 W
a b à CPUs
August 1, 2013 5:55:48 AM

nickj232 said:
I'm a HEAVY PC gamer, and I've been planing on getting a new CPU to replace my really old one. I am going to get a FX-8350 x8 4.2 GHz, but I was wandering, how much of an fps increase can I expect, or if this if this is really even worth it, and instead just get a Phenom or FX 4 core CPU instead. If someone could give me a answer back it'd be appreciated thanks. FX-8350 (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009O7YUF6/ref=ox_sc_a...)

Athlon II 645 3.1 ghz
CM STORM SCOUT Case
Seasonic MII12 620 W

getting a GTX 760 will give you more frames than changing the CPU ..

you already have a 4 cores running at 3.1 Ghz ...

get the GTX 760 THEN after that upgrade CPU
August 1, 2013 5:59:44 AM

SNA3 said:
nickj232 said:

Athlon II 645 3.1 ghz
CM STORM SCOUT Case
Seasonic MII12 620 W

I already have a AMD RADEON 7870 that's close to if not better than that why would I pay another 200 for almost the exact same amount of performance?
Related resources
Can't find your answer ? Ask !
a b à CPUs
August 1, 2013 6:53:25 AM

nickj232 said:
SNA3 said:
nickj232 said:

Athlon II 645 3.1 ghz
CM STORM SCOUT Case
Seasonic MII12 620 W

I already have a AMD RADEON 7870 that's close to if not better than that why would I pay another 200 for almost the exact same amount of performance?

depends on the game , the 760 wins by 5 to 20 frames depending on games ...

but the GTX 760 has Phys X as well and better future if you SLI later ..

you can however get another 7870 and cross fire , also better than new CPU , but sadly CF stutters today unlike nvidia SLI ...

7870 are chea today i think for 150$ only ... which is better you think ? 2x 7870 in CF or CPU ;) 
August 1, 2013 7:00:51 AM

SNA3 said:
nickj232 said:
SNA3 said:
nickj232 said:

Athlon II 645 3.1 ghz
CM STORM SCOUT Case
Seasonic MII12 620 W

you can however get another 7870 and cross fire , also better than new CPU , but sadly CF stutters today unlike nvidia SLI ...

7870 are chea today i think for 150$ only ... which is better you think ? 2x 7870 in CF or CPU ;) 

Well, I can use Phys X on my AMD card but now that I think of it maybe x2 would be better. Thanks for the reply.
a c 97 à CPUs
August 1, 2013 10:47:22 AM

I wouldn't bother upgrading your graphics card right now with that CPU, you likely wouldn't see significant gains going from a 7870 to a 760. Keep in mind that all graphics card benchmarks are done with an i7 to eliminate a CPU bottleneck. Your Athlon II is probably at best barely keeping up with your 7870, you're almost certainly going to hit a CPU bottleneck if you move up to a 760, and that will nullify virtually all the performance gains you might get from upgrading your card. Get a better CPU first before upgrading your graphics card.
a b à CPUs
August 1, 2013 6:59:23 PM

Supernova1138 said:
I wouldn't bother upgrading your graphics card right now with that CPU, you likely wouldn't see significant gains going from a 7870 to a 760. Keep in mind that all graphics card benchmarks are done with an i7 to eliminate a CPU bottleneck. Your Athlon II is probably at best barely keeping up with your 7870, you're almost certainly going to hit a CPU bottleneck if you move up to a 760, and that will nullify virtually all the performance gains you might get from upgrading your card. Get a better CPU first before upgrading your graphics card.

Wrong , the games are more GPU dependent today , and this bottleneck is on paper only. he has a 4 Cores at 3.1 ghz and thats enough for 7870 in CF.

you are giving a wrong Advice.

I saw Huge difference upgrading GPU even on dual core 3.1 Ghz old cpu ...

a c 97 à CPUs
August 1, 2013 7:25:54 PM

Some games might be more GPU dependent, but a lot of the more demanding titles that would actually benefit from having a second 7870 in Crossfire tend to also demand a fairly beefy CPU as well. I have just one 7870 and I do get hit with a slight CPU bottleneck in Far Cry 3, and a huge bottleneck in Hitman Absolution, and that's with a first gen i5 which is faster than any Athlon II. Just having 4 cores at 3.1 GHz might not be enough, the Athlon II architecture is getting old and slow by today's standards, and it lacks L3 cache entirely, making the situation even worse.

The OP can buy another 7870 if he wants to, I just think it probably is going to be a waste of money to do so without a CPU upgrade. At the very least, the OP should not expect his setup to perform nearly as well as the benchmarks indicate.
a b à CPUs
August 1, 2013 7:29:15 PM

Supernova1138 said:
Some games might be more GPU dependent, but a lot of the more demanding titles that would actually benefit from having a second 7870 in Crossfire tend to also demand a fairly beefy CPU as well. I have just one 7870 and I do get hit with a slight CPU bottleneck in Far Cry 3, and a huge bottleneck in Hitman Absolution, and that's with a first gen i5 which is faster than any Athlon II. Just having 4 cores at 3.1 GHz might not be enough, the Athlon II architecture is getting old and slow by today's standards, and it lacks L3 cache entirely, making the situation even worse.

The OP can buy another 7870 if he wants to, I just think it probably is going to be a waste of money to do so without a CPU upgrade. At the very least, the OP should not expect his setup to perform nearly as well as the benchmarks indicate.

the beneft in fps using CF will be > benefit from upgrading CPU.

this is the bottom line , the gained FPS.

and I know benchmarks wont be the same , but it is BETTER result Adding CF ...

the Conclusion is more important than Graphs on paper.

better GPU > Better CPU , unless you have very slow CPU which is not the case here , he has 4 cores at 3.1.

the waste of money is buying new cpu for 5 frames only , while CF will double you frame rates or at least give you 50% more .
a c 97 à CPUs
August 1, 2013 7:38:41 PM

Better GPU isn't going to make a difference if the current CPU has trouble keeping up with the current graphics card. The OP isn't likely to get a huge performance boost by doing Crossfire with his current config, so I think it's a waste of money. Maybe out of the two options, Crossfire would gain more FPS, but spending $200 to get 5 more FPS with a new CPU vs. spending $150 on Crossfire to get maybe 10 more FPS, neither of those scenarios is a particularly good use of funds. To get any really worthwhile gains, both parts probably need to be upgraded unless the OP is planning on playing BF3 single player exclusively.
a b à CPUs
August 1, 2013 7:44:54 PM

Supernova1138 said:
Better GPU isn't going to make a difference if the current CPU has trouble keeping up with the current graphics card. The OP isn't likely to get a huge performance boost by doing Crossfire with his current config, so I think it's a waste of money. Maybe out of the two options, Crossfire would gain more FPS, but spending $200 to get 5 more FPS with a new CPU vs. spending $150 on Crossfire to get maybe 10 more FPS, neither of those scenarios is a particularly good use of funds. To get any really worthwhile gains, both parts probably need to be upgraded unless the OP is planning on playing BF3 single player exclusively.

the CPU upgrade will give worse. this is the bottom line.

and with his machine , it is better to spend in CF than upgrade CPU , when he upgrades in the future for new Mobo and CPU , he can move the cards with him , but he wont be able to move the CPU with him

and he WILL get more than 10 fps ... he will DOUBLE the fps in the games that are GPU dependent.

7870 is not a fast card , you are not talking about 7970 here ...

and I know about Intel per core is better than AMD per core ...

that why upgrading CPU is the waste of money here .. any time he dceides to go intel , he will take the 2 GPU and use them there ... but he cant take the AMD.

and the CPU upgrade will give him no big deal , and less than CF ..

a c 97 à CPUs
August 1, 2013 8:02:59 PM

Even under ideal conditions, Crossfire does not scale 100%, he won't get double the framerates, even if he had an i7. At best, Crossfire get a decent boost in a bunch of non demanding console ports that don't even strain a single 7870, and in Battlefield 3 Single Player which doesn't seem to care at all about which CPU you have. In more current games that are more CPU heavy, the gains from Crossfire would be small eg. 10-20%. In any case, I'd wait until I was doing a complete system rebuild to upgrade my graphics card were I in the OP's shoes, but if he absolutely must spend some money now, then fine, get the second graphics card, just don't expect more than modest performance gains.
a b à CPUs
August 1, 2013 9:07:13 PM

Supernova1138 said:
Even under ideal conditions, Crossfire does not scale 100%, he won't get double the framerates, even if he had an i7. At best, Crossfire get a decent boost in a bunch of non demanding console ports that don't even strain a single 7870, and in Battlefield 3 Single Player which doesn't seem to care at all about which CPU you have. In more current games that are more CPU heavy, the gains from Crossfire would be small eg. 10-20%. In any case, I'd wait until I was doing a complete system rebuild to upgrade my graphics card were I in the OP's shoes, but if he absolutely must spend some money now, then fine, get the second graphics card, just don't expect more than modest performance gains.

:)  I know what you are saying .. but the conclusion here is

which will give more FPS , new CPU or CF , and the Answer is CF in his case .. and remember the 7870 is a slow card :) 
August 2, 2013 9:06:25 AM

SNA3 said:
nickj232 said:
SNA3 said:
nickj232 said:

Athlon II 645 3.1 ghz
CM STORM SCOUT Case
Seasonic MII12 620 W

Supernova1138 said:

Would it be better for me to buy a FX-6300 and another 7870? That's like hitting the top cap of what I can afford right now.
a b à CPUs
August 2, 2013 9:30:42 AM

nickj232 said:
SNA3 said:
nickj232 said:
SNA3 said:
nickj232 said:

Athlon II 645 3.1 ghz
CM STORM SCOUT Case
Seasonic MII12 620 W

Supernova1138 said:

Would it be better for me to buy a FX-6300 and another 7870? That's like hitting the top cap of what I can afford right now.

how about a better idea ?

first get the 7870 , make the cross fire and try it out , if you feel it slow AFTER that get the CPU :) 

btw , which motherboard do you have ? does it support CF ?
August 2, 2013 2:20:04 PM

SNA3 said:
nickj232 said:
SNA3 said:
nickj232 said:
SNA3 said:
nickj232 said:

Athlon II 645 3.1 ghz
CM STORM SCOUT Case
Seasonic MII12 620 W

Supernova1138 said:

first get the 7870 , make the cross fire and try it out , if you feel it slow AFTER that get the CPU :) 

I'm also buying a new motherboard that I have that will work with AM3+ sockets and CF, but if you have a recommendation for mobos I'd gladly look into it.

a b à CPUs
August 2, 2013 2:30:52 PM

nickj232 said:
SNA3 said:
nickj232 said:
SNA3 said:
nickj232 said:
SNA3 said:
nickj232 said:

Athlon II 645 3.1 ghz
CM STORM SCOUT Case
Seasonic MII12 620 W

Supernova1138 said:

I'm also buying a new motherboard that I have that will work with AM3+ sockets and CF, but if you have a recommendation for mobos I'd gladly look into it.

... you talked $200 now it is alot more lol

well what ever you buy , make sure it has the 990fx chipset. it is not worth it to upgrade and use lower chipset.

and I think you should wait , the 3rd Generation FX-series CPU is coming this year ... the Steamroller .. dont be hasty.

This is a bad timing .. wait one or 2 months. maybe a new socket will appear ... AM4 or w/e
!