Android 4.3 Fixes First-Gen Nexus 7 Slowdown Issue

Status
Not open for further replies.

err, at least for now, it's supposed to work this way. if you have Trim enabled on your desktop SSD, it does something similar

OSes are evolving rapidly, and I think we'll see much better long-term solutions in the coming year or two

teh_chem

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
How does this fix problems? Wouldn't you only really benefit if (a) your device was never really near capacity, and (b) you did a clean install/update directly to 4.3. Otherwise, if it functions like SSDs in desktop OS's, you've lost most of the benefit of TRIM.

I have noticed zero perceptible performance improvements since I got the 4.3 update.

kawininjazx

Distinguished
May 22, 2008
I had this problem, then I put Cyanogenmod on it and it runs like a champ. I wish they had this option earlier, but at least someone got it working, only took Google a year to fix it.

Mark Jacobson

Honorable
Aug 2, 2013
I beg to differ with your praise for 4.3.

My Nexus 7 has slowed to a crawl SINCE I upgraded to 4.3. Worse still, my screen now refuses to auto-rotate.

Am I the only person who finds the "upgrade" to be a big step backwards...or did I somehow simultaneously introduce a virus when I upgraded to 4.3?

Mark Jacobson

Honorable
Aug 2, 2013
Allow me to revise my comment. I shut down and rebooted my Nexus 7 and it's auto-rotating again. However, it's still slower than before the 4.3 update.

kujospam

Distinguished
May 10, 2011
Shrugs, mine is faster now. I'm not sure if it will be faster while downloading or not though. I find that when my nexus 7 is downloading/updating something in the background, the whole system seems extremely slow.

You have to leave the 2012 Nexus 7 idle while charging over a 24-hour period for TRIM to kick in. I did that for three days after updating to 4.3 and it's back to its original smoothness.

Also, you do need some free space in storage so it has room to think - maybe 20% or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.