Doubt about upgrading my gaming PC

CitizenKing

Honorable
Jul 31, 2013
So a few days ago one of my 2gig sticks of DDR2 ram finally gave out.

I currently am running a GTX 560 TI 2gig card with a 2.5ghz quad-core processor. I had 4gigs of DDR2 ram, but now I'm down to two, and it will cost me $40 to get another 2 gigs of DDR2 ram (My current motherboard does not support DDR3).

So here's the thing: I am tempted to simply update since my system is pretty out of date, but from what I've been hearing they're going to be releasing the next gen of video cards around March of next year, and in two years time we're going to be running DDR4, which will involve likely having to buy a new mobo and processor.

I'm really worried about the idea of making a decent up to date computer and having it become completely obsolete only two years later, while this one has lasted me three times as long.

So, will the next gen of hardware make such a huge impact that I should just bear with what I've currently got, or is now still a decent time to upgrade considering this information?

CitizenKing

Honorable
Jul 31, 2013

While I understand that, it seems like the difference between the previous two gaming generations pales impressively in comparison to the difference between this generation and the generation to come. New technology, crazy amounts of cores, insanely powerful graphics cards. I dont want to spend $1000 on a good rig, and then in two years find out I have to spend $1000 again. See, my current rig has lasted me this long and was still running games like Witcher 2 at 20-30 fps. Nothing to write home about sure, but I could enjoy myself.

I guess my big question can be revised to this: If I build an up to date computer right now, how long should it last me before it wont be able to decently run new games anymore?

Not at all

There is no reason to suspect cpu's will be way more powerful in the next generation . The last two generations are incremental shifts and thats because hardware and software are already well optimised .

Next gen might use less power , but there is no reason to suspect performance will increase greatly .