Sign in with
Your question

My computer randomly reboots/freezes up

Last response: in Systems
August 1, 2013 5:12:31 PM

So a couple of days ago I got a sudden problem where my PC would randomly reboot itself or freeze. On the reboots the screen suddenly goes black and the PC restarts. The freeze seems to occur on heavier tasks and here I have to reboot the computer manually. Different sounds (as if something was broken) also occurs when my computer freezes.

My specs are:
MSI 870A-G54, Socket-AM3
AMD Phenom II X6 1055T
Corsair HX 650W PSU
ASUS GeForce GTX 560Ti 1GB PhysX CUDA
Samsung SpinPoint F3 1TB
Kingston ValueR. DDR3 1333MHz 4GB, CL9

Now I've looked around a lot on Google and forums, and everything they suggested didn't seem to fix the problem.

The things I've done so far:
Cleaned my CPU fan and got rid of all the dust
Reset the CMOS and updated the BIOS
Ran FurMark to stress the GPU and PSU (picture)
Ran HDTune pro to check for harddrive errors and it seemed fine, though I don't have a picture of it.
Checked the temperatures on CPU and both of them seem to stay around 30 degrees Celsius idle.
Turned off reboot when system error occurs in computer -> properties -> advanced settings.

I Ran prime95 on In-place large FFTs with 4 torture test threads running and it immediately crashed and rebooted. This is where I suspect the problem to be.

When I ran memtest86 it only managed to check once (no errors) and the computer rebooted a couple of minutes after the first test.

So the only unusual thing I can find is that when running prime95, the computer instantly crashes and reboots.

Any help on this issue is greatly appreciated
a b B Homebuilt system
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
August 2, 2013 2:17:54 PM

Give Prime95 a run but while you're checking your temps with open hardware monitor or coretemp. See them climb, and check how high they get before it crashes. That way we'll know if it's a temperature thing (CPU cooler issues, easy fix) or a CPU issue itself (new processor).
August 3, 2013 9:41:28 AM

serge44 said:
Give Prime95 a run but while you're checking your temps with open hardware monitor or coretemp. See them climb, and check how high they get before it crashes. That way we'll know if it's a temperature thing (CPU cooler issues, easy fix) or a CPU issue itself (new processor).

So everytime I ran prime95 it immediately crashed. I checked the temperature right before the crashes and they were always around the idle temperature, from 25 to 29 degrees. Does this mean I have to get a new processor and perhaps a motherboard as well?

Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
August 3, 2013 6:29:26 PM

I'm assuming you're not overclocking, are you?

Yeah, then definitely it's not an easy fix, wish it just overheated. Apparently your CPU isn't getting enough voltage to even work at stock speed. The thing is that we don't know if the problem is in the PSU, the motherboard or the processor itself, or even the RAM. And it would be irresponsible of me to suggest getting a whole new computer.

Is there any chance you could get ahold a different computer where you could start switching and testing some parts? PSU would be my first try, it's the simplest part to get (any PC has one, any will work) and is the main suspect for now.

In the meantime you could try underclocking your CPU.. You'll lose some speed but at least it might not crash.
August 4, 2013 8:26:55 AM

Tried to run prime95 and IntelBurnTest while underclocking my CPU with no luck. First I used OC genie that was on my motherboard and turned it down one notch, and it seemed to fix it at the start. Though 1 hour later it rebooted/freezed again. After that I disabled OC genie and turned the MHz on the CPU down a notch and tested it with IntelBurnTest. It didn't help. I'm contacting the website I bought it from and I'll probably have to send the computer in. Thanks for your patience and help though, I appreciate it greatly!
September 14, 2013 7:01:40 AM

Alright so a quick follow up on my problem. It turned out to be my RAM, even though I did do memtest86 multiple times. But it's sorted now.
!