HP Launches its Android-Powered SlateBook x2 Early

Status
Not open for further replies.

BringMeAnother

Honorable
Apr 22, 2012
I'm curious, what use is high resolution screen on an Android device? I mean I'm a programmer and web developer and I can't use any screen less than 1080p on my Windows machine when I work, but that's for doing real work. While you could do some real work on an Android device, it is mostly for content consumption. I doesn't seem like a higher resolution would make content consumption that much better. Also, you can't multi task on Android, so why the higher resolution beside looking nicer? Anyone welcome to answer.

schultzter

Honorable
Aug 1, 2013
This looks pretty cool. I've always wondered why Asus' Transformer was the only hybrid Android tablet. But one thing I can't get over HP's cursor keys - they're tiny, un-usable!!!

ipwn3r456

Honorable
Mar 21, 2012

Some of the things I can think of the use of 1080p screen would be watching HD movies, lesser pixelation due to it's higher DPI display. It can be useful for older people who can't see very well, so when then zoom in the text, they can see it better. But I kind of agree of what you said, 1080p screens is mostly useful for media and entertainment. You as a programmer, 720p screens for an Android device would be enough for you. Of course you don't want a too low resolution Android device.

w8gaming

Honorable
Dec 21, 2012
If a Android device is 1280x800, Teamviewer on Android displaying a 1024x768 Windows desktop unable to show the desktop completely, and you need scrolling up and down to view the missing content. Let's hope with 1920x1200 resolution, it can finally display a full desktop. Maybe such high resolution will help there.

Also, some people feel that high resolution makes reading a e-Book easier on the eye, so that could be another advantage for such high res display.

lance SUNDRICH

Honorable
May 15, 2013
One other hybrid tablet - the Hummingbird PX103 by Aocos Electronics, also launched last week and while a lesser known brand, it offers an impressive, ultra compact
"Transformer-style" 10-inch device that features a durable, snap-on cover that reconfigures to work as a mini-laptop with built-in keyboard -- one of the first U.S.
sites it's available through is T ablet Sprint and is priced at $259.

It's Aocos Electronics’ third edition in the Hummingbird series and offers a sleek design and features solid performance for a mid-range device... featuring a Quad
Core processor (Rockchip RK3188 1.6 GHz / Mali-400MP4 GPU/2GB DDR3), and 16GB Memory. Along with a 10 inch HD 1280x800 IPS screen, Bluetooth 4.0 (works with built-in keyboard), a front Webcam and 5 MegaPixel rear camera, and HDMI 1080p output. It also has a 7000 mAh battery, Android 4.2.2 Jelly Bean; and is compatible with Chromecast; and comes with Google Play store.

The Hummingbird PX103 is compact and ultra-thin, with a 9.6mm profile and weight-wise comes in at 1.4 pounds… not far off from Sony's Xperia world’s thinnest and
lightest tablet device. A 3G edition of the PX103 is also expected in late August.

guvnaguy

Honorable
Oct 27, 2012
I checked HP's website...they claim 10 hours of battery without the keyboard/dock, yet only 8 with it attached?! Wouldn't having it attached increase the battery life?

Otherwise, seems like it has nice specs for a tablet: Tegra 4 + Intel HD 4000 = powerhouse for tablet-gaming

damianrobertjones

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
"LED-lit screen with a 1920 x 1200 resolution"

Yet HP decided to release an ENTIRE Probook and Elitebook range with 1366x768 screens (Albeit with a 1600x900 option) and even their tablets are set at a low resolution. I, personally, don't mind 1366x768 but come on HP... show some Windows 8 love please

halcyon

Splendid
I like high-resolution screens because I love the razor-sharp images and text. I'm always glad to see another entry with a high-Res screen and other upper specs. Now, if Samsung could just bestow such a blessing on its tablet line-up, I for one, would be an even happier android.

subaru41

Feb 6, 2006
This might be my next Android tablet. I wonder the what the build quality is and performance is on 3D mark. I don’t want to deal with the Galaxy screen issues anymore and the reviews on the ASUS infinities were mediocre on build quality.

hp79

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2006

Maybe the keyboard has heated keys (like heated steering wheels).
Or they might have meant "extra 8 hours".

somebodyspecial

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012
When will we get some benchmarks. Toshiba has been selling their tablets on amazon or direct and now this. Toshiba/HP don't ship review units to reviewers these days? Toshiba's is 1.6ghz so I'm more interested in seeing this one benched preferably in some REAL games rather than synthetics. CPU power is going to be about the same on all of this years tablets, so I'm more interested in the gaming of the socs. My tablet purchase will be doing this or watching training vids and that's about it besides light browsing from bed/couch.

Status
Not open for further replies.