Sign in with
Your question

Radeon 7770/6770/or GTX650/650TI?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 1, 2013 7:08:18 PM

Hello everyone. I am brand new to everything computers so I don't understand what all the numbers and abbreviations mean yet except for what I post today but I am learning. Although I have been using computers for years I have not ever upgraded them (unless you count a dual monitor display I set up for my work computer which was remarkably easy). This time I am working on my home computer that I rarely use. I have had it for a few years and maybe have 100 hours on it. I am getting into gaming more recently with it and I would like to ask a few questions to you all as I have been doing vast amounts of research on what's what before I do anything. It seems like everyone offers pretty good advise here. Anyway, I don't want to keep digressing so Ill get to the point.

I have an HP Pavilion p6540f and I am looking at ordering a Corsair CX600M modular PSU. From what I have been reading its a decent power supply (maybe a little overkill) and will fit in my machine. I am also looking at coupling it with one of the following: Radeon HD 6770 or the GTX650 or perhaps taking the extra bit of leap and going overkill again to the 7770 or 650Ti.

What are recommendations, thoughts, comments, or anything I should know before doing anything. I don't care so much about the prices but more so care about what will fit and work well with my computer. I know that the HP 6540 is not highly upgradable. I bought it to just have a computer in the house for internet, never thinking that I would get interested in gaming on it or getting into a new hobby. Some may say that if I'm not worried about price just to go out and get a better platform to start with. But I am new at this and I would much rather experiment with something small and working into maybe a better platform after I see how much interest I really have in computer upgrades/building, gaming, etc. I really only play StarCraft II, Sim City, & other Sim games here recently. I want to play these on Ultra everything graphics without problems. The standard HP card is very weak (Radeon 4200). Let me know what you all think and thank you for accepting my noobness in advance and I promise to research the crap out of everything to become more computer lingo literate.

My computer specs can be found here: http://reviews.cnet.com/desktops/hp-pavilion-p6540f-phe...
August 1, 2013 7:15:14 PM

bandboy71 said:
Hello everyone. I am brand new to everything computers so I don't understand what all the numbers and abbreviations mean yet except for what I post today but I am learning. Although I have been using computers for years I have not ever upgraded them (unless you count a dual monitor display I set up for my work computer which was remarkably easy). This time I am working on my home computer that I rarely use. I have had it for a few years and maybe have 100 hours on it. I am getting into gaming more recently with it and I would like to ask a few questions to you all as I have been doing vast amounts of research on what's what before I do anything. It seems like everyone offers pretty good advise here. Anyway, I don't want to keep digressing so Ill get to the point.

I have an HP Pavilion p6540f and I am looking at ordering a Corsair CX600M modular PSU. From what I have been reading its a decent power supply (maybe a little overkill) and will fit in my machine. I am also looking at coupling it with one of the following: Radeon HD 6770 or the GTX650 or perhaps taking the extra bit of leap and going overkill again to the 7770 or 650Ti.

What are recommendations, thoughts, comments, or anything I should know before doing anything. I don't care so much about the prices but more so care about what will fit and work well with my computer. I know that the HP 6540 is not highly upgradable. I bought it to just have a computer in the house for internet, never thinking that I would get interested in gaming on it or getting into a new hobby. Some may say that if I'm not worried about price just to go out and get a better platform to start with. But I am new at this and I would much rather experiment with something small and working into maybe a better platform after I see how much interest I really have in computer upgrades/building, gaming, etc. I really only play StarCraft II, Sim City, & other Sim games here recently. I want to play these on Ultra everything graphics without problems. The standard HP card is very weak (Radeon 4200). Let me know what you all think and thank you for accepting my noobness in advance and I promise to research the crap out of everything to become more computer lingo literate.

My computer specs can be found here: http://reviews.cnet.com/desktops/hp-pavilion-p6540f-phe...

you dont need all that power for those cards , 400 Watts power supply is enough ..

HD7770 in the system will run total system power of around 280 watts

The 650 TI around 300 watts and the boost around 330 watts total system power.

getting 600 watts is overkill unless you want to use it later in other machines.

I would say GET nvidia card for one reason , later on you can use it as Stand alone PhysX card if you buy another machine ... there will be a use for it .

try to get the GTX650 Ti Boost.
August 1, 2013 8:51:03 PM

thanks for the help. Yes, I agree that the 600W PSU is way overkill, however, looking at them all online the price difference between a 400-500-600 is fairly marginal so I figure to just get the 600 incase I ever decide to start adding more components i.e. sound, additional monitors, etc. and also for the reason you said, incase I get another machine later on that I want to build up further. I can always throw this little 250W back in the old machine and I wont have to go through the trouble buying another PSU if I get a decent one from the start. I see everyone says that the PSU is usually the most overlooked component. But yea, I will do more research on the 650Ti now. Thank you for the response as I know there are countless articles on graphic card upgrades.
August 1, 2013 9:02:23 PM

bandboy71 said:
thanks for the help. Yes, I agree that the 600W PSU is way overkill, however, looking at them all online the price difference between a 400-500-600 is fairly marginal so I figure to just get the 600 incase I ever decide to start adding more components i.e. sound, additional monitors, etc. and also for the reason you said, incase I get another machine later on that I want to build up further. I can always throw this little 250W back in the old machine and I wont have to go through the trouble buying another PSU if I get a decent one from the start. I see everyone says that the PSU is usually the most overlooked component. But yea, I will do more research on the 650Ti now. Thank you for the response as I know there are countless articles on graphic card upgrades.

get the "boost" not the normal 650 ti ..

and if you can spend for GTX 760 the better.
August 3, 2013 11:53:52 AM

Ordered yesterday afternoon through Newegg!!! I am skeptical about the boost. Looks like there are a lot of bad reviews in comparison to the Radeon 7850 but I will get it in and see. I should have it by Wednesday. I am excited, I have never done anything to upgrade a computer before! I need to get a good monitor next. I don't really need a huge screen so I am looking at the Asus VX238H. It seems to have pretty good reviews for an awesome price. I will download the drivers this weekend and have ready to install this week. Thanks for the help!!
!