Is this budget build sufficient? and what is a good PSU?

NoviceWare

Honorable
Aug 1, 2013
CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus
Motherboard: ASRock Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 660 2GB
Case: Cooler Master HAF 912 ATX
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS

This is my first attempt at building a -mostly for gaming- desktop so hopefully everything fits inside (mainly the CPU cooler and memory's heat spreader) and are compatible. I think the only thing I am missing is a reliable yet affordable PSU, aside from the monitor (probably going to go with the Asus VH238H 23.0" Monitor, but there seems to be lots of hype on IPS which the VS239H-P has while yielding a similar price tag).

Reasons for my build...
CPU - I think it is good, and the ratings seem to show. Might overclock it when it seems necessary.
CPU Cooler - I picked Plus over EVO because it is about $10 cheaper for a small difference in performance. I mean I do not even think I need a CPU cooler? I figure there is no harm in buying a good inexpensive one if I might consider overclock the CPU some time in the future.
Motherboard - After much research this motherboard seems to be a reliable yet not overly expensive if I ever deem it necessary to overclock my CPU.
Memory - I guess RAM is more of a preference, which I have not much of, but I ended up choosing Vengence over Ripjaw X.
Storage - I was pondering whether to get a SSD, but the average shorter lifespan and lower storage while at a greater cost unnerves me so. I do not really need 1 TB, in fact I think 250-500 GB is plenty. The WD Black black on this storage seems to be too good to pass on though... even though I have no idea how much more of an improvement it is compared to other HDDs.
Video Card - The GTX 660 seems to be a good price/performance card that will do me well (considering the next best video card I have ever experienced was Intel HD 3000). Did not choose Ti because performance increase seems small at a steep increase in price.
Case - Kind of picked on a whim since this seems to be one of the better cases for around $50. As long as everything fits while still have room for good air flow then it seems fine. But then again what do I know, I am a novice builder.
Optical Drive - Rating seems good, and not too expensive and does not seems to affect modern gaming much to ponder too much on.
(Monitor) - Leaning towards VH238H only for the sole reason that it seems to be a bit more popular than the VS239H-P and yields a minute better rating. I found this somewhat surprising considering IPS seems to be the must have nowadays.

Power Supply!?! - Hopefully find one at $50 or cheaper. First of all I am not certain how much watts this build requires. I believe that I should probably aim at a hundred or two more so that even if component change, overclock, PSU lose efficiency at old age or what not it will still be viable, hopefully. It seems the Corsair brand was pretty good so I was looking at CX500, maybe CX600 if necessary. It seems that 'm' is semi modular which seems good but the price seems to be cheaper which unsettles me (feels like a trap!). I was also wondering what the 'v2' version is? My brother made a desktop recently with Thermaltake PSU 500-600W for just $20ish? I am not sure if that brand is as reliable so I hesitate.

Decisions decisions.

Any suggestion (mainly for PSU since that is what I lack) is welcomed but the CPU and video card are probably set in stone unless I was awfully mistaken about something. Thanks!

Edit: ah yea I don't really have a set price. Probably spending 200 on cpu, 200 on video card, 100 on motherboard, 100 (preferably less) on storage, and around 50 or less on the other parts. $10-20 over is fine if it is (significantly) worth the price, otherwise the cheaper the better.

Don't mess with thermaltake. Not worth the risk. YOu want an Antec, XFX, Seasonic, Corsair unit around 500-600w.

If this is for gaming, get an i5 4430, h87 motherboard. use the saved money to get a better GPU.

NoviceWare

Honorable
Aug 1, 2013

My stand on the CPU is pretty firm. And considering that i5 3570k is likely better than the 4430 and that the prices are basically equal if I grab the 3570k from micro center... there is no saved money from that; just a worst CPU... correct me if I am wrong.

Edit: I also like to point out that I am not really aiming to max out graphic settings on everything I play. Just enough to that it is bearable and maybe a little more. I mean I had Intel HD 3000 all this time and had no complaints. ;x Graphics is just a plus that I would like to experience.

mc962

Honorable
Jul 18, 2013
cpu should be good, if you are doing microcenter check out their cpu/mobo bundles (i believe the one you picked is up there)

while i dont know what you play that gpu should be fine for most stuff out today. and that board is sli capable i believe so you can just grab another gtx 660 if you need more graphics...also consider the msi version ive heard they have a good cooler on it

i would consider the low profile vengeance ram, its the same price but you dont have the ginormous (and most say useless) heatsink that may bump heads with that big cpu cooler

as far as the psu...dont skimp there, you dont want something that dies/fries your parts/starts a fire (although you have to pick pretty bad for that). if you want to do sli ever and overclock i believe 750w is what a lot recommend, although you can work out the particulars of your power consumption yourself. Corsair HX750 is the one i plan on getting and it seems to have decent reviews as well as is semi-modular. i havent heard really bad things about the CX series but this forum has scared me away from cheaper psu. AX series is their flagship model i believe, but also more expensive

i dont know exactly how much slower it feels but consider the Blue WD drives over the Black ones...its $30 cheaper and you could put that towards a better psu. Save some money and maybe get a ssd boot drive later on

TRENDING THREADS