I need help deciding my CPU

Whats your choice.

• LGA 1150 (i7-4770K)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • LGA 2011 (i7-3930K)

Votes: 2 100.0%
  • Other (Please post your reccomendation below)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

LiquidCesium

Honorable
Aug 1, 2013
Ok, You guys haven't steered me wrong so far so, i need a bit of advice.

I want to build a computer that is a gaming computer, AND can handle anything else you throw at it. I plan on flash animation and compiling and editing 1080p Video. i will be harnessing the power of 2 GTX 780's (thanks to TheBigTroll and Buzz247 for helping me on that) that are watercooled along with the CPU

I currently am planning on a LGA2011 i7-3930K CPU which ill upgrade to a i7-4960X when it comes out.

I have been told by many that using a i7-4770K would be better for gaming, but i would sacrifice 2 cores and 4 threads, and my abilities to upgrade to the i7-4960X and half my ram capacity.

I should mention, i dont trust Haswell yet, i have reason to believe that it was developed with laptops in mind, vs. desktops. That and its still new, i usually wait on things like that for a few months, but by the time i build this desktop it will be that waiting period.

I like the ability to upgrade, and LGA 1150 and 2011 are the next in line to be updated. I do not deny that the Haswell series is a powerful set of chips, but im not sure if im ready to step into that area yet. Thats why im asking the community. Select a position to take, and please comment on your choice!

Note: If you chose option 3 may i note, i will not be going with a AMD platform, please keep your recommendations strictly Intel

nimjee

Honorable
Jul 13, 2013
both are really good for gaming but since u are editing the 3930k will help you more with the extra 2 cores.

3930k for sure. For what you're trying to do, I feel LGA2011 would be the best platform for you.

If you're taking advantage of CUDA to accelerate your work, you may be able to get away with an i7 4770k, but I feel a more 'enthusiast-grade' platform would suit you better -- not to mention longer support/updates on the platform.