Recommendation for a WAP (network extender)

arkabeoeht

Honorable
Jul 28, 2013
I am looking for a WAP to add to my network to improve signal strength both in the house and in the backyard. It will be placed in the attic, about 30 feet from a 10/100 switch, which is connected to a gigabit switch in the basement, which is connected to the main router.

Is there a WAP (or router with DHCP disabled) that can accept one ethernet line, and both extend the wifi network as well as act as a switch (to replace the 10/100 in the attic)? My thought is that I can eliminate the 10/100, which would slow the WAP, by using the WAP itself as a switch (I only need one more port).

The first product I was looking at is the Amped SR10000, but I am not sure if this will accept ethernet or if it only operates wifi to wifi (which I don't think I want).

Then I was looking at the Buffalo WZR-HP-G450H.

So any recommendations, or is the buffalo good? I don't want to pay for the features of a router if there is a cheaper WAP version. I'd also like to avoid POE (I have an AC connection nearby) and I'd like to keep it under $100.00.

choucove

Distinguished
May 13, 2011
The Amped Wireless R1000 or R1000G would be within your price range. This is a full wireless router, so you'd just have to disable DHCP and connect your uplink line into the LAN port instead of WAN. It would give you a built-in switch as well. I've installed one of these before and the wireless signal was improved, but not overly "impressive" for range, so I don't know if this solution will completely solve your issue. Fortunately, Amped Wireless also carries a bevy of other antennas you can purchase and upgrade if needed.

If you are needing something dual-band capable, you'd need to step up to the Amped Wireless R2000G, which is just slightly more than what your original budget plan is, though. Other than supporting 2.4 Ghz and 5 Ghz simultaneously, it is the same as the cheaper R1000G router.