Computer Science Degree and Second Thoughts

TannerS

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2010
I am currently in a point in my life where I can go one of two ways. Lets pretend for a second I blank on what I like/better at and ask this question, in today's world were the IT field and jobs are developing, what is more worth a degree in?

Computer Science or a Network degree where I can get into servers, CCNA and etc?

largebluefox

Honorable
Sep 6, 2013
Most employers who look for certifications like CCNA also seem to look for a bachelors degree as a foundation. My friend is a CC(something) and he has a bachelors. He pursued a CCNA on his own free time. Keep in mind, a CCNA does not mean you are a pro at networking, it simply certifies you as being able to administer networks with Cisco hardware. The bulk of your foundational training will come from a CS degree. To be on the safe side, you should get a CS degree. Some of the things you may come across in training for courses like CCNA are grounded in core CS concepts like IP networks, bit fields, choosing between 2 algorithms (ex. is this or that network discovery algorithm better), etc... You cannot go wrong with a CS degree. An internship is more likely to add to your post graduation job prospects than will a certification with no experience.