Low Frame rate while recording

Swifter38

Honorable
Jul 9, 2013
I just got a new graphics card a GTX 770, I was playing battlefield at about 70-90 fps, but when i started recording with fraps it dropped to low 40's high 40's, and i thought well its a demanding game so i went on counter-strike source and recorded some gameplay, without recording i got 200 fps while recording i got again 45 ish, same thing in League of legends and world of tanks, i have the fps in fraps set to 60 and im recording to a separate HDD, any help?

Specs:
i5-3570k: CPU
8gb of ram
Gtx 770 EVGA: GPU
1tb 7200rpm HDD -500tb 5400rpm HDD
asrock Extreme 3 z77: mobo

thee_prisoner

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
Generally a video capture card will help since it will do most of the processing. If you plan on uploading/streaming the video, play around with the FRAPs settings, for example turn down the recording to 30 FPS and lower the resolution. But it isn't uncommon to have lower frame drops when recording while playing even with a good computer.

In the olden days(20 years ago) when I recorded gameplay I could just output VGA(all raw data) to a SVHS VCR(420 resolution, using a capture card) and I didn't have a problem with performance drop. A suggestion would be if you don't get help here is try the youtube and twitchtv forums about these issues. You will find everybody has the same same problem unless they can straight out send that data uncompressed to a device that can handle that kind of thing.

Happy Recording, the Prisoner...

winkay

Honorable
Jan 17, 2013

Make sure FRAPS/FRAPS recording clips is on a seperate hardrive to BF3 or whatever you're playing. I'm suprised you're not getting really bad bit-rate aswell if everything is on one drive.

Swifter38

Honorable
Jul 9, 2013

Well i have 2 HDD's im playing off my 1TB and recording to my 500Gb