Android 4.3 May Be Wrecking Nexus 4 Phones

Status
Not open for further replies.

the1kingbob

Distinguished
May 27, 2011
Luckily I haven't had problems with overheating or booting. I have had the sleep of death when using netflix and chromecast. Also had to restart to get my wireless networking back yesterday.

InvalidError

Titan
After seeing the first N7v2 I have seen hard-lock within minutes of me touching it, I am not too surprised 4.3 might have some nasty surprises for some people.

That made me a little nervous about hitting the 4.3 "Install" button on my original N7 but I have not seen/noticed any problems on it - at least not yet.

whiteodian

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
I waited a few days too. I read an article about how it was suppose to speed up the performance and installed yesterday. So far it seems ok to me.

sulanis

Honorable
Nov 29, 2012
It's not just Nexus 4, its also Samsung Galaxy Nexus as well. Although they are probably incredibly similar. I strongly suggest waiting till Google Says its safe to install

matter37

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2011
I have not had the overheating problems, and I have not had Sleep of Death with Netflix (I will avoid Netflix for a bit, now, though), but I did get a infinite boot loop. That was fixed quite easily by forcing it to shut down while stuck in that loop, so it was no big problem; I definitely did not realize how many other problems with 4.3 there apparently were.

Phillip

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2004
I updated my N7 to 4.3 the second there was a zip to flash on a rooted device. I haven't had one single issue with mine...yet. :) Netflix runs fine, and my bluetooth headset works fine. I do have about a .5 second audio delay when using a bluetooth audio device on Netflix and such...apps that don't include a way to adjust for this.

aicom

Honorable
Mar 29, 2012
I've had nothing but great experiences with 4.3. It fixed the slowdowns I was having with my old Nexus 7 and improved browsing performance noticeably on my Galaxy Nexus and Nexus 7 (probably from the 2D rendering improvements). I also have a new Nexus 7 which might be the first Android device I've owned that I would call silky (buttery?) smooth.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
My N4 and N7 upgraded to 4.3 and they work without any problems, just like they did with 4.2.2
In fact, I can't notice any differences except the version number change.
Don't know what Android users are about when they whine how their phones are not upgradable to the latest Android version.

InvalidError

Titan

The firmware for Nexus-branded devices is based on almost stock AOSP sources so Nexus-branded devices tend to get updates first.

Non-Nexus devices tend to run vendor/device-specific builds so most people using those end up having to wait much longer for their device manufacturers. Many manufacturers don't update some models at all. Those would be the people who are frustrated about waiting forever for updates or having orphaned devices.

becherovka

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
I have not had a single issue with 4.3, it works perfectly, faster smoother than 4.2. However I didnt update OTA i downloaded and pushed update. Dont know if this makes a difference or I am just one of the lucky ones.

TheinsanegamerN

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2011
I upgraded my original nexus 7 yesterday, and have yet to see any of the mentioned problems. battery life did go up by about 45 min-1 hour, and writing data to the nexus 7 seems to be going much faster now than it did before.

Adir Iakya

Honorable
Aug 3, 2013
It's a problem in the radio firmware :)

I wrote a fast procedure on my blog about how to make 4.3 work: http://fixandoridproblems.blogspot.co.il/

Enjoy :)

realitycheckplease

Honorable
Aug 20, 2013
BACKUP your Nexus 4. I got two of these phones back in Dec and received the 4.3 updates. My phone immediately restarted every three hours then semi-bricked with red light only showing on long power press - then it recovered after being plugged in over night. I then backed up everything and 2 days later dead! No recovery available.

My sons phone was working just fine and he has a different mix of apps so I thought it might be some rogue app causing the problem. He backed up and today his phone is dead. This is a great phone just dont update to 4.3 until they get it fixed. I bought a 4.1 phone and it works just fine!

realitycheckplease

Honorable
Aug 20, 2013
BACKUP your Nexus 4. I got two of these phones back in Dec and received the 4.3 updates. My phone immediately restarted every three hours then semi-bricked with red light only showing on long power press - then it recovered after being plugged in over night. I then backed up everything and 2 days later dead! No recovery available.

My sons phone was working just fine and he has a different mix of apps so I thought it might be some rogue app causing the problem. He backed up and today his phone is dead. This is a great phone just dont update to 4.3 until they get it fixed. I bought a 4.1 phone and it works just fine!

suhelsayyadspammer

Honorable
Feb 4, 2014

Suhel, stop spamming. Stupid

Status
Not open for further replies.