Hyper Threading on or Off

sweetsamantha1985

Honorable
Oct 6, 2012
I recently purchased a 2600k, got it pretty cheap with a motherboard combo. my question is, for me who plays video games, varius kinds, runs folding@home and other boinc work. with water cooling, what would be better, keeping Hyper Threading on for the mutli threaded programs, or turning HT off and achieving a higher OC.

petermic

Honorable
Jul 13, 2013

Please choose a best solution so the thread can be marked as solved.

sweetsamantha1985

Honorable
Oct 6, 2012

But how has it been solved? All I got was a statement with no reasoning on why to keep HT turned on. I just don't see how this issue is solved.

The reason why you should simply leave HT on is because over the past several years there have been various benchmarks done compare a CPU with HT on and off (like the i7-2600k for example). The results of the benchmarks basically indicated that with HT on there is approximately 1% - 2% decrease in performance in games.

Most people will not notice a 1% or 2% decrease in performance. Therefore, it is not really worth the trouble to continually switch HT on/off during boot up.

Since you have a CPU with HT you can try it out for yourself. Just play some games with HT on and some with HT off. If you feel you get better performance with HT on, then keep it on. If you feel you get better performance with HT off, then keep it off.