USBs failed - cannot get PCI-e USB card working

jhart24

Honorable
Aug 2, 2013
Have a computer that got zapped by lightning which resulted in all the usb ports not functioning anymore (front and back). I installed a PCI-e usb card to get some usable usb ports again. The problem is the computer wasn't shut down properly on the last boot so when turning the computer on, it defaults to "windows startup repair". I cannot change the option yet because the drivers for the card are not installed yet. I do not have any ps/2 ports on this computer. How can I get this to work? Please help.

dan macduff

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2010
Have you let the computer sit for a few hours to repair the system? Depending on how old, how much space is taken up on the hard drive(s) it can take a matter of minutes or a matter of hours. But by the sound of it you have multiple system files that are corrupt(that's why the recovery program comes up on boot). If the recovery program is not working it could be one of four things. 1. The corrupt system files may include the files used as backups/recovery. 2. A virus/worm/malware/trojan/ bootsector virus may cause your systems programs to perform the same process continuously. 3. Registry errors. 4 motherboard, hard drive, or other hardware is bad or creating a short circuit somewhere. Do you have the operating system cd?

jhart24

Honorable
Aug 2, 2013

Thanks for the reply, but I think you completely missed what was going. I shall answer each sentence you put though. Startup repair runs because that is the selected by default after an improper shutdown (from lightning -> power flicker) (no keyboard functionality to select normal mode), it runs for a few minutes, finishes with no issues, but I cannot hit enter or anything to finish and boot to windows. Space on the hard drive is irrelevant but has lots of free space. This is not a system file corruption issue. This is not a virus issue. This is not a registry issue, this has nothing to do with the hard drive. Like I stated in the first sentence of the original post, there was a lightning strike outside the house and ALL USB ports stopped working. A USB mouse does receive power, but is useless to me. Keyboards do not seem to get any power. I need to somehow inject the PCI-e card driver into the system. I can force the computer to boot to a bootable CD but the USBs do not work there either

Don't know if you have tried this, but its worth a shot. I do understand the problem.
with the computer running put your Windows DVD in a drive. Do a hard-shutdown with the power button; once it is shut down turn off the PSU or unplug it from the wall for a minute (Just to make certain RAM is clear of everything). While it is unplugged clear the CMOS. The simple way is to remove the little round battery on the mobo for about 30 seconds then reinstall it; this sets the CMOS at default settings.
Plug it in and push the start button. IF YOU ARE lucky the computer will use the disk to repair itself without you having to input anything with mouse or keyboard. AGAIN, this is just a quess that this will work.

TRENDING THREADS