Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

8GB upgrade for HP laptop: DDR3 PC3-10600 204-pin SODIMM or 'newer' DDR3 PC3-12800?

Last response: in Memory
Share
August 2, 2013 6:40:31 PM

I have a Hewlett Packard DM1 4210 notebook/laptop, and the Crucial.com Site utility said that the most compatible 8GB memory upgrade is Part Number: CT3412664 -
Module Size: 8GB Kit (4GBx2) Package: 204-pin SODIMM
Feature: DDR3 PC3-10600 CL=9 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR3-1333 •
1.35V • 512Meg x 64 •

Their phone lines were closed though, and I went to Amazon where I have $-credit but they say the PC3-12800 (GB PC3-12800 (1600Mhz) 204 pin DDR3 SODIMM), CT102464BF160B is a "newer" version of the PC3 10600 above (which was or is the sole recommendation on the Crucial Site).

Would the newer one (2011) at those specs be too 'fast' for the HP DM1 Model 4210 then?

The PC3 10600 was released in 2005, the 'later' one in 2011. But I realize the later one might not match the specs on the notebook.

I want to Run Photoshop 6 on my 64-bit Windows 7 on the HP. Thanks for any help.
a b } Memory
August 2, 2013 6:56:59 PM

andrys said:
I have a Hewlett Packard DM1 4210 notebook/laptop, and the Crucial.com Site utility said that the most compatible 8GB memory upgrade is Part Number: CT3412664 -
Module Size: 8GB Kit (4GBx2) Package: 204-pin SODIMM
Feature: DDR3 PC3-10600 CL=9 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR3-1333 •
1.35V • 512Meg x 64 •

Their phone lines were closed though, and I went to Amazon where I have $-credit but they say the PC3-12800 (GB PC3-12800 (1600Mhz) 204 pin DDR3 SODIMM), CT102464BF160B is a "newer" version of the PC3 10600 above (which was or is the sole recommendation on the Crucial Site).

Would the newer one (2011) at those specs be too 'fast' for the HP DM1 Model 4210 then?

The PC3 10600 was released in 2005, the 'later' one in 2011. But I realize the later one might not match the specs on the notebook.

I want to Run Photoshop 6 on my 64-bit Windows 7 on the HP. Thanks for any help.


:)  first hi ,

it is not a "newer one" , it is Higher clocked ... what happens is that when you install 1600 on a 1333 system , the 1600 will run at 1333 speed . it is not guaranteed to work however is like 99% chance it will work :) 
August 2, 2013 6:59:15 PM

Well since your pc is at 1333 go ahead and save money and get 1333 RAM. This way theres no risk it wont work and your not paying for something when you cant use its full potential.
Related resources
August 2, 2013 7:46:04 PM

SNA3 said:

:)  first hi ,

it is not a "newer one" , it is Higher clocked ... what happens is that when you install 1600 on a 1333 system , the 1600 will run at 1333 speed . it is not guaranteed to work however is like 99% chance it will work :) 

Hi :-) -- And thanks for a quick, clear answer to the question too. You're right that it would almost surely work while not bringing any advantages over the other. The reviews on Amazon from users of nany different makes of notebooks are all high on it w/ the exception of one person for whom it didn't work (but that could be for other reasons).
August 2, 2013 7:52:08 PM

batmanbob said:
Well since your pc is at 1333 go ahead and save money and get 1333 RAM. This way theres no risk it wont work and your not paying for something when you cant use its full potential.


What's ironic is that the 1333 RAM model is $20-$25 more expensive than the 1600 one! at most sites I checked. But I want the most compatible, so you two have solved my problem! Thanks again.

a b } Memory
August 2, 2013 7:54:14 PM

andrys said:
batmanbob said:
Well since your pc is at 1333 go ahead and save money and get 1333 RAM. This way theres no risk it wont work and your not paying for something when you cant use its full potential.


What's ironic is that the 1333 RAM model is $20-$25 more expensive than the 1600 one! at most sites I checked. But I want the most compatible, so you two have solved my problem! Thanks again.



give me a second. how much did you find them ?
August 2, 2013 7:54:39 PM

no problem, remember to choose the best answer!
August 2, 2013 8:22:54 PM

SNA3 said:
andrys said:
What's ironic is that the 1333 RAM model is $20-$25 more expensive than the 1600 one! at most sites I checked. But I want the most compatible, so you two have solved my problem! Thanks again.

give me a second. how much did you find them ?


$53, low, for the 1600 and $$75-79 for the 1333 though one place that didn't have as high a rating from customers had the 1333 for $59 but I'm more likely to go with a place I've reason to trust.
August 2, 2013 9:23:48 PM

batmanbob said:
no problem, remember to choose the best answer!

Unfortunately, on Firefox, there was a grayed-out link for 'best answer' request and on Chrome I don't see even the best-answer reminder/request.

I use no-script and non-script extensions but have enabled temporarily everything except the usual heavy-ad-places or but can't find out how to do it...
I got two quick, clear answers but if choosing only one I would have selected the one that arrived first. However, believe it or not, it's not easy to find this feature (at least for me, it's a mystery).

a c 174 } Memory
August 3, 2013 10:35:04 AM

andrys said:

$53, low, for the 1600 and $$75-79 for the 1333 though one place that didn't have as high a rating from customers had the 1333 for $59 but I'm more likely to go with a place I've reason to trust.

Try here - http://www.memorystock.com/memory/HewlettPackardPavilio... Or crucial!! Hope that helps!!
!