Heatpipe cooler effective on vertically mounted motheboard?

PJSingh5000

Honorable
Jul 30, 2013
I've read that it is ineffective to use a heat-pipe cooler on a vertically mounted motherboard, if the heat-pipe legs are oriented in such a way that water condenses and pools inside them (due to gravity) and never returns to the heatsink base to absorb more heat and evaporate again.

However, some manufacturers claim it is perfectly fine to position their heat sinks in any orientation that fits the motherboard. For example, in response to the question, "My Thermalright heat sink has heating pipes. Does it matter if I position they[sic] up or down?" Thermalright says, "Our heating pipe system is designed to work both ways. Having the heating pipes facing up or down depends on how they fit your motherboard best." (See Thermalright FAQ # 12).

According to the manufacturer, the following AXP-100 cooler should work just as well rotated 90 degrees counter-clockwise, as it does oriented as shown:
03.jpg

Does this make sense? Are these manufacturers doing something different inside their heat-pipes, or are they simply relying on the thermal conductivity of the metal, rather that the liquid inside, to facilitate cooling?

SNA3

Honorable

yes it make sense , the point here is moving the heat AWAY from the heatsink using the pipes ... it is effective and the movement of the substance inside the heatpipes will make it circle .. hot --- cold -- heatsink

the optimal is the heat pipes upward .. but doesnt mean is not effective , is one better than one .

PJSingh5000

Honorable
Jul 30, 2013

SNA3, thanks for that. I've been reading other similar threads here about the "wick" concept, and it is staring to make sense. By the way, I asked Thermalright this question, and they did confirm that I could mount their product in any direction.