Boot ini gone

BOB1901

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2004
I have a desktop ,xp pro,sp3. I of course have emergency disk for all of my computers except this one,whats new. The computer loads up to point saying--invalid boot ini file(boot from c(winnt).
Then it says missing or currupt--<window root>\system32\hal.dll ---please reinstall a copy of above file---
..Some how I was able to get into the c drive by using the NIS disk(do not know how I did it, can not any more).
When I was in the command prompt I tried---c:\>windows\system32\restore\rsrrui.exe ----after I hit enter I received this message-----rstrui.exe-system error---Program can't start because srrstr.dll is missing from computer.Try re-installing the program to fix problem.
I do not have the MS disk for my windows xp.So I can not re-install to fix.I do have two other older MS xp pro retail disk but they will not restore.When I hit (R does not work) F2 ,screen says to hit f2 to restore,I get a window saying to install floppy disk and then it stops.Any ideas.

PS:I also can get Nortons Ghost to load and can find a 3 year backup.Any way of finding boot ini in backup image in c drive and just restoring that one file. I'm not sure if it is possible to see it or not from a image of C drive,or were to find it (I can see dir and files but not this one)?

MadTechMan

Honorable
Aug 5, 2013
Use any Microsoft Windows XP Pro, Boot it, DON'T install, goto Windows Recovery Console - Choose your disk - Login with Administrator - From the prompt - type: bootcfg /rebuild - to rebuild the boot.ini - for a more in-depth look at Recovery Console commands, search xp recovery console commands on any search engine.

BOB1901

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2004
I had tried to use another XP PRO MS disk but when it asked to hit F2 recovery it did not work.It asked for the floppy disk to be inserted.This computer does not have a floppy disk,could not find a usb floppy disk at any of the stores around me.
I was able to get into the command prompt using Nortons Ghost (old CD I had).After reading old Dos book ,two days later I was able to get to windows/pass dir.Typed in boot.ini backup and it came up in the notepad window.I copied and then saved as boot.ini to c drive.Computer then loaded the right way. Some thing is still wrong (some utility programs not loading right) but at least I can reload image from 1 year ago.
Thanks for the help.

TRENDING THREADS