Is my Hard Drive broken and where to clone/image it to

goldse

Honorable
Aug 3, 2013
So, yesterday, without any warning my computer just SUDDENLY (really from one second to another) became very slow. The windows explorer froze all the time, my browser stopped working (google chrome even threw me out of my google chrome account), and everything was just extremely slow. My first tip was a virus, but I've run malwarebytes, rogue killer and ad-aware 5 times now and no problems at all. Right now, I'm in safe mode with networking, and here , everything is almost as usual (tiny bit slower still) but no freezing.

From what I found out online it's the hard drive (the pc not loading all drivers in safe mode and therefore not putting so much pressure on the hard drive explaining why it works almost perfectly in safe mode?), so I followed some instructions. I downloaded crystal disk info to get my s.m.a.r.t data, and that said my hard drive was "good". Next, I ran chkdsk. It stopped at 42 %, saying something like it can't go on, and looking at the results until then, there were at least 10 lines of "wrong indexing" (? It's in german here so it might be "bad index" or something). So I ran chkdsk /f and restarted my pc. But chkdsk /f said no problems detected. Also, last week I had a bad pool header blue screen, but it never came again.

So, to sum it up: Computer always boots up perfectly, just once I got a KSOD. If in normal mode pc is extremely slow and freezes all the time. If in safe mode everything works perfectly. All drivers are updated. Installed new graphics card 3 weeks ago and had no problems. Plus, if I remember right, in normal mode the hard drive gave "crunchy" sounds from it, not too loud, but they're not there in safe mode.

So, is my hard drive dying? If so, I have a different question:

My hard drive is 1TB one. In the control panel I see that I have ACER( C: ) and DATA( F: ). C: is the one I suppose is being used, as it has only 140 of 500 gb left. F: though, is completely empty(498 of 498gb available). Now I was wondering: Before going out and buying a new hard drive, is it possible to just clone or image the data from C: to F: and will that be the same as buying a new hard drive? As it's completly empty and therefore maybe not broken, even though it's the same hard drive? Would that fix my hard drive problem?

I tried to be as specific as possible, really need help on this, thanks!

Ok reading through all this I think there is software conflicting issue. But that crunchy sound is annoying me. OS is not transferable, though you can clone the OS with some third party software and then restore it. But I can suggest you that if that other partition is completely free you can move the data from C: to F: and format the C: partition with a bootable media(DVD/USB), and clean install the OS. Then move the data back if you need to. See how it works.

If the HDD is under warranty than back up your imp. data and RMA the HDD, as the sound is lead to believe me the HDD will going to fail soon.