$1000-$1100 all new build for gaming and illustration/design

RTLemur

Honorable
Jul 31, 2013
Hi everybody. I am looking to build a completely new PC. I am still pretty new to this. Before last year, I really only knew how to open the case on a prebuilt I had, and replace the RAM and GPU. Last summer, when I was still living with my brother, a friend helped us build a PC together (now my brother has that PC at his place). The friend picked most of the parts for us, and helped us assemble 90% of it, and then completed/resolved some further issues via my own research and a little help from a PC service shop.

So I have a basic familiarity with the guts of a PC, and some memory of how it goes together. With the help of some tutorials/videos I should be able to put this next one together on my own. What I need advice on is picking the parts.

Below I will outline my basic needs. Below that, I will list some parts I am currently thinking of. Some parts are based on feedback in other threads I found on this forum, with people asking for Photoshop/illustrator/gaming build advice. Other parts I picked mostly based on ratings/price, and the basic stats associated with each. I am not well-versed in what brands may be better suited for certain things, or if there are specific sub-details that go beyond the surface level stats.

Approximate Purchase Date: Next 1-2 weeks

Budget Range: $1000-$1100

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Photoshop for illustration work, Illustrator/InDesign, gaming. The nature of my illustration work does not call for super intense rendering or hundreds of layers. I scan pencil drawings and add flat color. Layer count maybe 50-60 at very most, although I do work at least 350 DPi, sometimes 400. Dimensions can go as high as 14" x 22". And to be honest, I do not currently use InDesign/Illustrator in my practice, but I am in the process of learning more about each, and I plan to utilize both in the future for graphics/design work.

For gaming, I would like to easily run games at high settings from the past 1-2 years (some specifics: Skyrim, LA Noire, Darksiders 2, Metro 2033, Deus Ex HR, Saints Row 3, Portal 2, Walking Dead). I would also like to comfortably most run games in the next couple of years at high (don't need ultra high) or medium settings.

Are you buying a monitor: Yes. However this in one (of a few) area I'll need more advice in. I want 1920 x 1080, don't need 1080p (unless that is what 1920 x 1080 is?) For my illustration work, I want good black levels, and obviously excellent color representation. and no off-color problems in white or gray areas in Photoshop (I was reading reviews for some ASUS monitors where they mentioned some issue with Photoshop gray areas with one monitor, and black level problems at certain viewing angles with another one).

Parts to Upgrade: Everything

Do you need to buy OS: Yes - is it recommended that I get Windows 8, or would 7 be fine for my needs?

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: I have no particular preference, although I am most familiar with newegg. I trust that people here would know which online merchants are fine to order from.

Parts Preferences: I've heard Intel makes better CPUs for Photoshop usage?

Overclocking: No

SLI or Crossfire: No

Your Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080

Additional Comments: I'm used to and can tolerate moderate noise, but a moderately low noise level would be nice.

Also let me know if 600W power supply may be too much.

And, in regards to storage, I personally do not download very much music or movies at all. Most of my games are in Steam, in which I own about 40, but half of those are fairly old or indie titles. I do have a moderate amount of personal photos and school related files from the past several years, but I don't think more than 100 GB total. I'm not sure whether I'd want SSD or HDD yet. I am aware that some 1 TB HDDs are hardly more than 500 GB HDDs, so I may switch to 1 TB for the final, but I'm not 100% sure yet.

AND, the CPU and Motherboard are the two areas in which I have the least knowledge. I have a feeling that the motherboard I picked could be better...? (I mean considering this build, as it currently is, does not break $900).

------

HERE is what I have picked right now:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670 3.4GHz Quad-Core Processor ($209.99 @ Amazon)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($19.99 @ Newegg)
Motherboard: ASRock H87 Pro4 ATX LGA1150 Motherboard ($92.98 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($67.99 @ NCIX US)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($53.98 @ Outlet PC)
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card ($249.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case ($44.99 @ Microcenter)
Power Supply: Corsair CX 600W 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX12V Power Supply ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD/CD Writer ($16.00 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ Outlet PC)
Total: $895.88
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2013-08-03 21:41 EDT-0400)

loc chuong

Honorable
Jul 17, 2013
Heres a better case IMO: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811146087

Heres a better PSU Brand: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151088

Upgrade the CPU Cooler if you want. If you feel that the cooler master isnt enough heres a better one: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608041&nm_mc=AFC-C8Junction&cm_mmc=AFC-C8Junction-_-na-_-na-_-na&cm_sp=&AID=10446076&PID=3938566&SID=

Heres a motherboard i prefer over the one you chose plus its in a combo with your CPU: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.1394990

RTLemur

Honorable
Jul 31, 2013

Thanks for the heads up on that combo! I like that case too. That CPU cooler and power supply are a lot higher in price than what I previously had in mind, but I will probably upgrade both of those in some way (if not with the exact items you suggested).

I don't know if anybody has any feedback on this, but this is one monitor I have my eye on:

http://pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-monitor-vs247hp