Sign in with
Your question

Working Windows install on new SSD, but wont boot when old HDD is removed

Last response: in Storage
August 3, 2013 9:40:20 PM

I bought a Samsung 840 ssd for my Thinkpad T510 to use as my primary hdd and an Ultrabay Sata adapter to mount an additional hdd. I installed Windows 7 64 bit on the ssd . Previously I was using 32 bit Windows but I because I also upgraded to 8 gb ram I needed to switch to 64 bit. I used the Windows USB DVD tool to create a bootable USB to install Windows from.

Everything went fine. Because I have two hdds both running windows, when I boot the computer it prompts me to pick which Windows 7 to run. Both run fine. However, and this is the problem I need help with, when I remove the original hdd leaving only the Samsung ssd the computer won't boot - it says no valid operating system.

I tried updating the BIOS but that didn't help.

Any ideas?

Thanks!!
a c 257 G Storage
August 4, 2013 8:15:35 AM

When you were in the system BIOS did you remember to enable the ssd as the primary boot drive?
August 6, 2013 6:46:05 PM

JohnnyLucky said:
When you were in the system BIOS did you remember to enable the ssd as the primary boot drive?

I assume you mean promoting the ssd to top priority in the boot order and/or selecting to temporarily boot from the SSD. In that case yes.

Also, to update: Update: I used EasyBCD to copy the boot file to the ssd. Now I am able to boot fine on the ssd with the old hdd removed. So it would seem as if not having the boot file on the ssd was the problem.

Still, when I boot up, I'm prompted to pick between booting Windows 7 (new ssd) and Windows 7 (old hdd thats no longer connected). If I pick Windows 7 (ssd) everything is fine. But if I pick Windows 7 (the old, no longer present hdd) then it fails to boot (of course).

I'm not sure why it's still giving me this (false) choice. Do I have to reinstall windows on the ssd without the old hdd mounted in order to get rid of this prompt? I'm inclined to do that since I want to feel like I have everything just right from the get go so I can build on a solid foundation.
Related resources
!