cpu overclocking really necessary

aqibzahid11

Honorable
Feb 12, 2013
Hello every one i want to know hat is overclocking really necessary and how much its impact will be on performance.
for example like im playing playing a cpu demanding game gta iv, planet side 2 or any other game with all settings to max.
And my i5 3570 cpu usage is just 40% at stock speed. so if i overclock it will it make any difference in the performance if yes hen why coz my cpu is not bottle necking and just using 40 % of iit.
if my cpu usage was 100% then it make some sense that i need to over clock it.

JefferyD90

Honorable
Jun 1, 2012
So here is the deal... When you OC your CPU by 10% (Keep in mind 10% is kinda a big jump cause a 3ghz CPU now goes 3.3Ghz) you will FINNALLY see a noticable difference. Anything less, and its kinda pointless. So lets say you have a 3ghz CPU and you OC it 20%, that means its going to go 3.6 Ghz. You need to include 20% more heat, 20% more electricty. (so you are going to need a better VRM on your motherbaord, a better PSU, and better CPU cooler to handle this). AND dont forget to factor in that your still bound by how optimized your software (a game) is optimized (which is usually very poorly) you MIGHT see half of that in actual performance. SO the 20% OC we did, will yeld 10% performance. If your getting 60 fps in a game, your now getting 66 fps in a game. You decide if that is a big deal for you.

kumarsaurabhraj

Honorable
Jun 8, 2013
While playing games some extra frequency gifts us with some extra fps in games. But the decision of weather to overclock or not depends highly upon your budget since you will need an aftermarket cooler and a rock solid system(mobo costs a lot in such systems) for some significant overclock. By air coolers such as cooler master 212 you can push a 3GHz cpu to somewhere around 4GHz with load temperatures around 60 degree Celsius, with stock coolers you will get something around 3.3 GHz. However intel says that overclocking voids warranty but overclockers believe that there is no such black box in the chip which records weather the chip is overclocked or not. So a chip burnt by overclocking still means a simply burnt chip so the company have to replace it.
There are two ways in which you can overclock first is increasing the cpu multiplier and the second is increasing the bclk (do not worry you will get familiar with these terms after a bit of googling). Increasing the bclk increases the frequency of not only your cpu but also of the memory and pci lanes. But for gaming these kinds of performance enhancement will not account for much so i advice that if you have extra cash then better spend it for buying some better graphic card or a better monitor if you want to enhance your gaming experience. For processor 3GHz is enough!!!.. LOL!!

aqibzahid11

Honorable
Feb 12, 2013

ive overclocked to 4.1 ghz about 10% oc and see no difference even a single pfs.

kumarsaurabhraj

Honorable
Jun 8, 2013

It is usually seen that overclockin makes a 4 to 5 fps difference but it depends upon rest of your hardware. Try overclockin by adjusting the bclk as it will increase dram and pci frequencies as well and might help you in increasing fps in gaming but do not overclock much as it might cause harm to your computer. Try increasing it by one or two till you find the sweetspot!

Regards.

aqibzahid11

Honorable
Feb 12, 2013

My specs are i5 3570,gaz77 d3h mobo,600 watt psu,8 gb corsair vengence,gtx 760 gigabyte. After overclocking i think its not worth until my cpu or gpu is bottleneck.

kumarsaurabhraj

Honorable
Jun 8, 2013

while hooking up ur rig you should have better gone for a 3570k as you have got a z77 mobo. Your 3570 will not overclock beyond turbo speed as it do not have unlocked multipliers. It will not be very wise to spend so many bucks changing the processor for some extra fps. Even if you take the decision of overclock you won't be able to achieve anything too good because of your low end mobo. You should have gone for some Asrock of high end gigabyte mobo. I think yours speks are fine for most of games, you do not need to change anything, 3570 is also a good processor. Better wait for some time and do a full platform upgrade (like skylake). Some say that there are some other indirect ways to improve fps in games which are safe to consider (as they will be shine will gold even if time passes and you update the remaining parts of your pc) and they are buyin a 120Hz monitor and buying a good ssd (samsung 840 evo is the best choice at the moment) and to run the game from it.