Google Reveals Android Device Manager to Track Lost Devices

Status
Not open for further replies.

thundervore

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011
What we need is an option to remotely brick the device so thieves cannot use it at all!

Do you know how high the crime rate in NYC is just for mobile device theft especially once you leave Manhattan......

pacomac

Honorable
Sep 24, 2012
It is ironic that nobody comments about the fact they've lifted this idea directly from Apple and nobody brings up that fact. Now if this was an Apple service that was ripped off by Apple the thread would be on fire with fandroids.

Reed J

Honorable
Aug 4, 2013

Are you implying that they shouldn't develop this app? Or are you just a bitter apple fanboy who's going down with the ship?

teh_chem

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
One question: Does data need to be enabled all the time for you to be able to use the features in Android Device Manager? It's frequent I turn off data for one reason or another, it would be nice for an option that has some sort of device lock or wipe that does not require the device to be connected to a data network all the time.

If you've read tech news within the past few months, you'd realize that this has come about BECAUSE people were criticizing android for not having these device security features the way that Apple does. Regardless, what's your point? Apple takes feature ideas from Android. Android takes feature ideas from Apple. The slide-down notification tray in iOS is a blatant yoink from Android. Other things in Android are a pretty much 1:1 correlation with iOS. News flash: Technology advances through competition. In competition, competitors constantly examine their opponents and make changes accordingly for maximum customer appeal. The consumer wins. You'd rather Android steer clear of everything Apple had already done?

Lastly, lots of new features that Apple integrates into new iOS releases comes from directly from jailbreak community ideas, not necessarily anyone who works for Apple...

thundervore

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2011

Why would Android fans care if Apple rips off Apple?

They do it all the time and make apple fans pay again for a device with a little speed boost. iPhone 3Gs and iPhone 4s anyone? Im still waiting for the usual 18 month new iphone "s" model slap in the face.

rwinches

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2006
Ok, So I have to remember to put the phone in airplane mode the second I get my hands on it, got it.
A password does help protect your data as does encription.

All you cheering for this forget about this being exploited or hacked to wipe your data just for fun or to track you, or if they add the brick feature - brick your phone.

Truly this won't stop re-setting or reflashing and if they can just pop in a new SIM.

If the just block the 'serial number' from being reused across all carriers that would be effective.

Google's answer is to keep all your important or private data up in their cloud of course.

It all depends on what you pay, yes it all depends on what you'll pay.

jonmann

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2011
can't wait for the ring at max volume ... my phone is always on vibrate/silent, so this will be nice

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
Never fails, the fan boy's pop up everywhere. As for the "Apple had it first.." actually, blackberry and Microsoft had it first. I have been able to remotely brick my phone since at least 2008 on BlackBerry's (BES 3.0?), and since Windows Mobile 5 (march 2005) in the Microsoft camp. Third party app developers made a "find my phone" app for android in 2009. Technically, Apple had it last.

To the "just swap sim card" comments. Every time the device hits a Google server either via OTA or wifi it will continue to be remote wiped until the owner of the device turns the wipe feature off. Swapping the sim card will do nothing to prevent this.

teh_chem : with Data turned off, how would you like a remote wipe to be sent? SMS is only viable if the same phone number / sim is attached to your device, which is an unrealistic expectation if your device is stolen. What you are asking for is unattainable.

charjunrao

Honorable
Nov 26, 2013
Dear Sir,
My mobile got theft by some one on dated 22.11.2013 night.

Please see the below details of my mobile.

Company make: Samsung
Model No: S3850
EMI No: 357498040469236
last used no: 9010611759

Kind requesting that please trace my mobile and get me the details please. i have lot of communications and contacts in this phone. Please suggest what I have to do now. I complained about this at my nearest police station also.

Regards,

Ch. Arjun Rao,
Vepada Village and Mandal,
Vizianagaram District,
Andhra Pradesh,
PIN: 535281
Mobile No:+91- 9010611759

Status
Not open for further replies.