Error on Boot up

Fgrgfrtgt

Honorable
Aug 4, 2013
On boot up I get an error message saying "*smiley face* 9 *smiley face* multi-bit ecc error." (there are actual smiley faces, but I couldn't put them in the text.) I press the power button and as soon as the MB screen disappears the error screen appears with just the text and a black background. I've replaced the RAM, CMOS battery, and HDD. But none of that helped. I'm thinking it's a faulty MB because it's the oldest of all my parts besides the CPU, and I don't think the CPU has anything to do with it. I'm not entirely sure though, if anyone can help me out that would be great, thanks.
-Anthony

StonedGamer

Honorable
Aug 2, 2013
Did you clear the cmos when you replaced the battery?
Step 1: Remove plug from the back
Step 2: Remove motherboard battery
Step 3: Set jumper to clear cmos (outlined in your mobo manual)
Step 4: Wait 10-20 sec.
Step 5: Put jumper back to original position
Step 6: Re-insert battery
Step 7: Plug in and try..

Fgrgfrtgt

Honorable
Aug 4, 2013

I just tried that and now instead of getting the error message all that comes up is a black screen with a blinking underscore.

Fgrgfrtgt

Honorable
Aug 4, 2013

I did replace the thermal paste 8 months ago around Christmas. I'll try it again to see if that's the issue.

Fgrgfrtgt

Honorable
Aug 4, 2013

Yeah it was working perfectly a week ago. I was just on the Internet and it restarted itself, and when it booted I got the error. Hasn't worked since. I guess it's either the psu or the MB.