Water Cooling Suggestion

anatomyofme

Honorable
Mar 5, 2013
Hi all, I'm looking to move into the liquid cooling realm. I have my computer built and am happy with the setup. In looking for help picking out a case that is great for water cooling, and a water cooler system. My system is FX-8320, 8gb ram, HD7850. I will upgrade the GPU prb to the 7970 or 90 soon. So maybe a GPU water block also down the road.

Right now I have been checking out the INWIN GRONE for the case and the XSPC RAYSTORM 750 AX360 as the water cooling kit. Is this a good selection? If not any suggestions?

Just an update, I couldn't pass up Neweggs deal of $40 off the InWin GRone. Paid $97 for an awesome case that is huge with tons of features. So now I'm just looking for a water cooling setup, right now just the CPU. Yea in future I'll water cool my GPU, but not for a long while. So if anyone has any suggestions on a good NON micro center/newegg $70 kit, please inform me. I plan to finish this build within the week. Thanks all

Jklein

Honorable
Apr 21, 2013

Are you looking to cool just the video card and the cpu if so then you need to do two things find out what the wattage is for your cpu and video card that you would choose. The best way to do this is to go to http://www.extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp All you do is put in the cpu and video cards (remember to overclock the cpu when calculating power if you are planning on doing this) That's the amount of watts in heat your going to have to cool. (Don't forget to subtract 34 watts the calculator starts out at) Once you have determined that. you can get an idea of the size radiator you need. For instance just to give you an idea I put in your processor and I over clocked it to 5000mhz with a vcore of 1.45 (just to throw some numbers out there) And choose an hd7990 and came it came to 492 watts so when you subtract the 34 watts it came to 458 watts. I would say that could be covered by a Black ice 240mm gtx extreme. with the proper fans. So you need to find a case that has 120mm x 2 fan mounts. This will depend on your budget more than anything as to what case you choose my recommendation is cooler master they make excellent cases. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119245 This a full tower. Your water blocks I usually say that ek water blocks are the best that I read about. you can find everything you need on www.frozencpu.com you would need to use 1/2 in tubing with an outer diameter of 3/4 inches for a pump I would suggest a swiftech 655 although you could probably get away with a mcp35x. For 240mm radiator the formula you use to figure out the amount coolant is 240*1.75= 420cc of coolant but you always want to get more so I would say two bottles of switech coolant I believe there 500cc bottles. Whether you use compression fittings or barbs is up to you. Also the biggest mistake people make with water cooling is they put there pump above whatever will be filling there pump with fluid. HUGE MISTAKE best way to avoid this is to use a pump mod kit from someone like bitspower. You can find this all on frozen cpu. If you would like me to I can put together a list of parts as a suggestion if you want.

Jklein

Honorable
Apr 21, 2013

This would be my choice http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7358959&Sku=C283-6120

anatomyofme

Honorable
Mar 5, 2013

Thanks, but I already have the Corsair H55. I am looking to do the Liquid Cooling the real way. Like red, pump, 360 rad etc. I've never done it that way, nor know which parts are best etc. That's what I'm going for.

Jklein

Honorable
Apr 21, 2013