PCI-E 3.0 graphics card and 1st gen core i3 compatability?

G

Hi everybody. First post.

My PC recently got quite wet (open window and a thunder storm while I was at work). The only damage was the fried graphics card (PNY VCG98GTEE1XPB GeForce 9800 GT).

I have a ASUS P7H55-M LX LGA 1156 motherboard with a PCI-E 2.0 slot and an Intel Core i3 550 CPU.

I would like to get a PCI-E 3.0 card both to make this a future-proofing upgrade opportunity and because certain features I want (high power, low price, and 2x HDMI ports) seem only to be available in these newer cards.

I am aware that a PCI-E 3.0 card will work in a PCI-E 2.0 slot but I am not sure what the effect on performance would be with a first gen core i3 because they are not PCI-E 3.0 compatible. would it function reasonably well or would I experience a drastic loss of performance (like making it worse than a comparable 2.0 card)?

I understand that I will not be able to fully take advantage of the 3.0 upgrade till I get a new mobo and CPU. I just want to make sure that it won't be an accidental downgrade due to incompatibility.

Thanks.

SNA3

Honorable

you will be fine ... there is no much noticiable difference between PCIe2.0 and 3.0 using today cards .. the PCIe is miles ahead ... you dont even need more than 8x PCIe ..

I would recommend GTX 760 or GTX 770 for you ... Nvidia is better than AMD today t high end , and Midrange cards

antfactorys

Honorable
May 19, 2013

it will work, i would advice getting a new cpu aswell if your budget is not extremely low