Honorable
Aug 5, 2013
I put together a computer about a week ago:

ASUS P8Z77-V LE PLUS motherboard
i5-3570K CPU
Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB 1600 DDR3 ram
MSI GTX 660 Ti Video Card
Thermaltake Chassis and PS

The system worked beautifully for two days. At that point it started presenting memory problems. The first indication was that the system would reboot on its own during operation. Eventually, it would get stuck in the reboots and never posting. I was able to get the system up and running again by putting a single memory stick into either the A1 or A2 slot, but not B1 or B2. I was finally able to get it booting again with the memory in A1 & A2 which isn't a recommended configuration. After further research, I found that my memory was not on the QVL so I decided to swap it out for another memory. I stuck the memory into A2/B2 and the system started up immediately and behaved beautifully for two more days.

This morning I found the computer with no video and the memory light on. I can't get the computer to boot in any memory configuration. Removing the memory gives the correct beeps that memory is missing.

My question at this point is what should I do? It seems like I may have a bad motherboard and I should replace it. Should I suspect any other components?

Thanks.

engineer1969

Honorable
Aug 5, 2013
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the responses.

I did update the bios on the first day I had things up and running. I've tried to MemOK button with no success.
I have a Thermaltake 750W power supply. The voltages always looked good in the BIOS.

I'm curious -- if there was a bent pin, would the computer be able to work normally for a couple days? I sort of ruled that out due to this, but it would be good to know if this is not the case.

Thanks for the heads up on the CPU and memory. I will RMA both.

Also, as far as thermal stats go -- What would be an expected CPU temp? Mine was showing around 25 deg C at initial start and 32 deg C after operating for a while. Are these normal expected temps? I have no real desire to push the edge of overclocking. This machine more than meets my needs with its base stats.

I was also wondering about the TPU and EPU switches and their exact function. Should I worry about their position?

Thanks again!

engineer1969

Honorable
Aug 5, 2013
Thanks again. The TPU and EPU are turned off by default and the explanation in the manual is about the same as your reply above unfortunately.

I'll RMA the cpu and motherboard today and respond with my results in a few days.

raykat

Honorable
Jul 31, 2013
Just so ya know.There was a guy in maximum pc who rotated a pentium 90 degrees and jammed it in his system as an experiment...it worked and for way longer then 4 days sounds like mother board is unhappy with your ram ,Good luck .Let us know how you made out..rk

engineer1969

Honorable
Aug 5, 2013
I received my new MB and CPU yesterday and everything is going great so far. Posting from the new machine.

Noticeable differences from the old board -- the PCI cards fit better and line up with the back of the case properly. I installed the old board twice and these didn't line up quite right. The CPU is running a little cooler at 28 deg C.

One minor annoyance is my BIOS is complaining that the chassis fan speeds are wrong, but haven't been able to figure out how it is determining that or how to fix the issue. I'm assuming there isn't one.

Thanks for the replies. I'm a happy new computer owner.

raja@asus

Distinguished
Sep 28, 2011
Hi,

If UEFI is giving a warning on some of the fan speeds being too low, you can go to the fan speed section within UEFI and set the fan speed limit to a lower value or ignore.

-Raja