New System Build Parts Advice

Arcanon

Honorable
Aug 5, 2013
Hi all, First time in here :p So thanks in advance.

Building a new rig (been a few years) going for this lot....Prices are just from Amazon. Will be useing my Old 460GTX 1gb Cyclone until I can afford to throw in an Nvidia 760 and get a SSD....and I already have dvdrw etc. Upgraded cpu cooler/half decent therm paste is likely aswell even though Im not OCing. (Artic Freezer/mx-2 probs.) Just cos I want it to run cool enough on hot days lol.

Can you guys make any improvements based around the same price brackets? I am aware of the Haswell Sleep mode/Corsair PSU issues and may have to live with it, want a bit of head room in case I add anything later.

Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600 Mhz CL9
£58.97
Corsair Builder Series CXM 600W Modular 80 PLUS Bronze Certified ATX/EPS PSU - Corsair
£58.66
Corsair Carbide Series 300R CC-9011014-WW Mid-Tower Gaming Case - Corsair
£60.06
Seagate 1TB 3.5 inch 7200RPM 64MB Cache SATA3 Hard Drive - Seagate
£55.50
Asus H87M-PLUS Intel H87 Express Motherboard (Socket 1150, DDR3, S-ATA 600, Micro ATX, 1x PCI Express 3.0 x16, USB 3.0)
£81.46
Intel Core i7 4770 Haswell,
£237.99

So it would be great if any of you have better ideas for parts, think you can see what Im going for, decent speed with no overclocking....all on a £500(ish) budget.
Thanks Again.

Arcanon

Honorable
Aug 5, 2013
Hi Thanks firstly for throwing that in. I should point out Im def going for a high end intel and probs i7 at that. The cpu you picked is way lower benchmarks wise. Also please note i already have a GFX card passable for now and DVD/RW.

In my opinion, this build is pretty good for rendering and other similar applications.
The CPU has 8 cores which are best suitable for professional purposes which make it as good or sometimes better than a good i7. In fact FX 8350 is an all rounder in both gaming and professional tasks.

If your motives are just gaming then a Core i5 4670K will give you as good FPS as a Core i7 4770K would.

In his build, you may swap out RAM for a better one (Corsair Vengeance / G.Skill RipJaws X Series) and also motherboard with an ASRock Extreme4.
The case he suggested is also not good enough and a Fractal Design R4 or Corsair 400R would be much better when you consider noise suppression and cable management.

One more thing, a 430W PSU can not handle a GTX 760 along with an i7 or FX 8350. At least 600W is advised.
Opt for Corsair Builder CX600 80+ Bronze Certified instead. Pretty good budget PSU. If you want to go for High End side then nothing beats Seasonic.

Everything else is good.

Arcanon

Honorable
Aug 5, 2013
Thanks Luckiest charm, the i7 may seem slightly overkill but I built my last rig 6 years ago and been playing Metro Last light for example happily enough. In other words future proofing these have to last a long time, go nuts on the CPU as GFX or Ram can be added later.

Some interesting thoughts on the cases though I will look at them. Also I had put in a 600w psu as you have mentioned.

I was wondering about other makes though, are the corsairs a bit rough and ready? Is there a better brand for same sort of money?

I am definitely suggesting the very best of available CPUs for now.

And you know what? PS4 and Xbox One both have Octa Core CPUs.
In that case almost all games which would be ported would work best on an 8 cored CPU.

Therefore for kind of 'future proofing' (Well there is nothing like future proofing to be honest since game demands and product quality changes constantly) an Octa Core is recommended over a Quad Core i5 or i7.
But since Intel has higher per core performance, it would work better for current games than AMD here but AMD is also not way behind either, it would give you very decent FPS too and none of them would bottleneck even Quad GTX 770 Setup.

So, in my opinion, get the FX 8350 to be more future proof and later on, GTX 760 or hell, GTX 770 since games are constantly demanding for more power and their demand seems to be increasing only.

------------

Corsair isn't more rough, etc. It is just overall better as its pretty durable, made of good quality material, has higher speed options, and pretty old and well known in RAM department. G.Skill is very equal to corsair and both dominate the RAM section of market equally.

You can go for either of them, depending on speed and price. There is no other brand better than these two when it comes to RAMs. They are the very best money can buy.

For PSU, Seasonic tops it.

Arcanon

Honorable
Aug 5, 2013
Right all ordered, dropped down to a 4670 in the end as yeah bothering with the extra money for a 4770 was pointless as I dont need hyperthreading (I'll be gaming mostly)

No going for 8 cores though, no games use them and wont for the forseable future.....8 cores in consoles is a reflection of their need to multi task and do a lot more than run games these day?

The main game i'm suiting up for is total war rome 2 which will mostly likely not use the 4 cores nevermind 8 (same base engine as shogun 2? which uses 2 cores on a good day!). And in a straight line (single process) the 4670 pastes the fx-8350 (. And I have no intention of overclocking anymore (too old too busy too married) so the 4670 was the one for me.

Went for the Seasonic 550w though good shout really pleased with that :bounce: as I was really out of touch with PUS's.....my current ones a Tagan 600 or sumthing from ages ago!

Also went witha carbide 300r in the end....partly as Im a classic simple looks kinda person.

Thanks again for the input guys :)

Well that is your choice mate.

In my opinion, I am totally neutral when it comes to AMD and Intel in Core i5 and FX department. I know that Phenoms are trumped easily by Intel but FX Piledrivers are very awesome indeed.

Still, in quad core utilizing games Intel CPUs are better than AMD so in a few cases i5, yes, is a better choice. If you are buying the system for particular game or set of games of a particular time period, then yes, Intel is a much better choice.

If you are going for future games which are to be released then AMD is a better choice. And no you are wrong about multitasking. All the power in a console is used in just for rendering the video and graphics. Thats all the thing it does aside from a few other minor but vital processes.

Anyways, glad you made the choice. Corsair 300R is a very awesome case and Seasonic PSUs are one of the best money can buy.

Good Luck! :)

Arcanon

Honorable
Aug 5, 2013
Well all built and other than some asua ai suite issues it's lovley.....cant wait to get a Nvidia 760 to throw in now.

Incidently have been reading on the 8 core stuff mentioned above. Not being combative here but just incase anyone else is reading this thread looking for advice here are the thoughts on the issue of "drtoast" in another post on these forums who is marked as a CPU expert.....

"It isnt truly an 8 core anyway, its 4 physical cores with two logical per physical sharing resources, at lower efficiency. By the time games need more than 4 intel cores to run, that fx8350 will be outclassed, underpowered and obsolete compared to the CPU's built for the games when they release.

If your on a tight budget, go the 8350, it'll last a while, but not because of its 8 cores.

If you have wiggle room, (a decent amount) go for a high end i5, (ivy personally). It will likely outlast the 8350.
"

He is right and wrong at the same time.

He is wrong because FX 8350 has 8 physical and actual cores running when needed. Its a full fledged 8 core CPU.

He is right (only slightly) because 8 cores are distributed amoung 4 modules. That means it goes like 1 module is a pair of cores and they share some hardware resources. In other words yes they are slightly behind 8 actual cores running individually but they are MUCH better than Hyper Threading which Intel offers (HT is just making a virtual copy of cores to fool software that there are double the amount of cores. Kind of 4 cores then 8 threads and HT is just in i3 and i7).

CPU expert is the lowest CPU rank one can have. I am a CPU Master myself (CPU Expert --> CPU Authority --> CPU Master) and this is the last CPU rank one can get. You just need to have some specific and related tags on a particular thread to see the badges of a user in your thread. Most of the professionals here have around 20 badges minimum and they can be seen by going either in their profile or by proper tags.

I just edited this thread and added suitable tags to it to better illustrate the badge and tag system here to you.

Arcanon

Honorable
Aug 5, 2013
Thanks LC, I "think" I follow. :pt1cable: Still after even more reading there are so many conflicting opinions on 4670 (or other intels) vs 8350 I'm glad I already went one way or another. I'm only a gamer and its all too complicated when in reality as long as it's a beast of CPU I'd probably never notice anyway!

Could you do me a favour and give your thoughts in this thread?
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-1773773/asus-h87-power-surge-detected.html