questions about cpu heatsync plate

marcusg83

Honorable
Dec 8, 2012
i recently bought an i5 4670k, brand new from newegg and when i received it i found a slight knick on the plate covering the cpu its self. (the plate that says the type of cpu and it's ghz and place of manufacture. not the stock heatsync and fan.)

it seems to me like it was from a knife or something maybe a razor blade. it's extremely small and on the outer edge of the cpu. i was just wondering if this willhave any effect on its performance. i know i probably shouldnt be worried about it however this is my forst pc build and i don't want anything to go wrong.

i'm almost absolutely sure that i'm overreacting but i have no idea ow fragile a cpu is so I want to be certain.

8a238ac3-7422-4c1d-b64d-256be6d3d3f3_zps864cfd36.jpg

I don't think I've ever seen a heat spreader with a nick before. Fortunately the location of the nick is far enough to the side of the heat spreader that it shouldn't affect performance at all.
You should be fine

marcusg83

Honorable
Dec 8, 2012

yeah it made no sense to me. i feel like it could have been opened already but the tape on the box was all in tact. i figured it wouldnt do anything because it's just a heatspreader and not any of the actual electrical components but it's always better to be sure about this kind of stuff.