661FXME PATA Fileserver

ollyTech

Honorable
Aug 5, 2013
Hey guys,

I have a Foxconn 661FXME motherboard and would like to know a couple of questions of going about turning it into a LAN fileserver. I have 5 spare PATA drives all various GBs and would like to to daisy chain them together, as there are 2 IDE slots could i have 4 drives going atleast? Or does anywork around for ths exist?. I am confused on the best PSU requirements and if this is possible? I was considering software such as freeNAS or just a simple webserver to upload my Docs to.

I have the maximum ram of 2gb on hand for the mobo. I just dont have a PSU or daisy chain on ATA cables.

(im a neebie here, srry if in wrong forum)
Cheers,

Olly

popatim

Titan
Freenas will run on a sis661 chipset board. I'm not sure if it will run that integrated lan or not but I'd suggest disabling it in the bios and installng a realtek gigabit lan card anyways; they run under $15... if you can still find one in pci (not pci-e)

Once in to freenas you can easily pool the various drives to act as one.

yes you can install up to 4 ide drives. 2 per ide port. The one on the end should be master and the one in the middle needs to have the jumper set to slave. (the other end is the motherbd)

A decent 250-300w power supply should be plenty.