Overclocking FX8320 to 4.5 atm w/llc extreme , on stock voltage, prime95 going well.

chargeit

Honorable
Oct 5, 2012
I'm currently 30 min into a run of prime95 ocing my fx8320 to 4.5 off of *stock voltage.

While I realize that 30 min isn't anything worth mentioning, I am because of the fact that I started this test thinking it was going to be a quick in and out. To my current surprise it is going fine for now.

My point being, I had started with LLC set to auto, when I attempted the oc at 4.5 I was already at +0.075v from my previous oc of 4.4. I had ran into a stability issue, and was forced to increase llc to extreme from there. All ran fine, but, I felt like the temps were on the high side (50ish). I was running a game last night, and noticed a spike to 97c. This scared the hell out of me.

So, I've spent most of the day fiddling with settings, changing voltage, llc, things like that. Finally, after failing prime95 more times than I'd like to remember I figured I'd need to change something.

I than stopped and took a fresh look at what was going on. I had started out being fearful of LLC, I left it on auto, than, as a last resort I used it to power my system OC forward by setting it to extreme. This lead to a more stable oc, but temps I wasn't happy with.

After thinking about this I realized that I was approaching this the wrong way. Instead of starting with just upping the voltage, and than setting the LLC to force the voltage to meet my needs, what I needed to do was maximize the voltage I was starting with, before moving up.

Sounds simple, and I had seen suggestions that said start with LLC extreme, but, this just sounds scary to a first time oc'er. Any time I see something like extreme I'm picturing my rig catching on fire.

I'm now over 40 min into a prime95 run that I thought would last 2, my max cpu temp is 44c, but it's running lower, volt at 1.380.

Anyway, I've noticed a lot of others who seem to have a problem like I've been facing. I can't help but wonder if they took a new approach and restarted with LLC extreme if it wouldn't help.

*I have a GB mobo, my voltage is set to 0.00 on it, not auto.

chargeit

Honorable
Oct 5, 2012
I ended up stopping prime95 after 2 hours so I could finish downloading a game. So far it's running fine, I'v even played some CPU intensive games and haven't had any problems.

I'll try a longer run of prime95 tonight most likely, but, so far I'm running my fx-8320 on stock voltage @4.5Mhz with LLC set to extreme smoothly. It's also staying nice and cool. I just played that steam game Alien swarm (the same game that gave me the 97c spike) and never went past 32c. I've also done a little mmoing, though nothing too heavy yet.

I'm sure that sooner or later a core will fail during Prime95 at these volts, but, I might just stick to it if I can get 4 - 6 hours without a fail, unless I start having stability issues.

chargeit

Honorable
Oct 5, 2012
Still haven't ran prime95 again, but, I've been running like this for over 10 days without a single problem. Truth be told it's working so well that I'm scared to run it and fail. If it ain't broke, don't go looking for things to fix.

Also worth mentioning, I switched "Cool & Quiet", and C1 on days ago. This has been nothing but a positive for me. I no longer feel worried about leaving my system running while I'm not around. I've also yet to notice any type of performance hit. It's also amusing to see my idle temps at 4 - 5c (I know this is a misread but still).

I'd say, "Cool & Quiet ftw". It does nothing more than decrease your multiplier while the system is not in use. I also see no reason to not use C1, since all it does is turn off cores not in use. This makes a lot of sense while gaming, since I'm not using the full 8 cores. Once again, there is no performance loss that I've noticed.