I think I screwed up when I bought my ram

raykat

Honorable
Jul 31, 2013
Hey every body,I have a really ,really old system I'm trying to keep together with some coat hangers and duct tape till I can save enough for my next build(no job right now it sucks)Any way I have an old Asus P5AD2-E premium board with a pentium 3.4 ghz prescott,sound blaster live,old Geforce 7950gt with 2 gbs of corsair xms2 5402v5.2vt ram on 1 gb single sticks.I was getting all kinds of thermal issues,slow downs and occasional B.S.D.s My hard drive is a seagate 500 gb brand new and it's working fine.swapped my antec 600 watt power supply for a tester I keep nearby and it's not that (i since put the antec back)could be the CPU but that seems a bit odd.The only thing I was left with was mmemory.I don't have memtest but my bios showed one stick reading funny.I didn't want to spend a ton of money on ram so I bought some cheap corsai value select DDR25300 the model # is VS1GB667D2...problem is not much value.I put the 4 sticks in and my sys posts and then freezes and I'm stuck watching a giant Asus logo..tried rebootin and got a no hard drive detected...I put the old ram back everything works ..ok...the new ram has really slow cas lat...5-5-5-15...could it be i need to adjust that in my bios before booting or am I dealing with something more...sorry for such a long post...can't believe all 4 sticks could be bad...maybe asus doesnt like my ram?...help my machine is slowly dying a slow and terrible death help me save it awhile longer.Thanks...raykat

raykat

Honorable
Jul 31, 2013

ok heres the deal.I put in 2 gigs on a1 and b1...systwm boots everything s cool...added the other 2 sticks in a2 and v2...no boot...took out every thing and put in the 2 sticks that were in a2 and b2 into a1 and b1 and left the original a1&b1 out since i know they work...sys boots all ok...put the other 2 sticks,which i know are ok into a2&b2...and you guessed it..nothing.....at one point during all this i dont remember i thinkl it was in between adding the final 2 sticks i had a bsod with an0007e code im parenth was...oxc0000005,ox00000000,oxf78a2384,oxf78a2080...im thinking ..i dont even frickin know any more.the only thing i can think is it could need a bios upgrade...which sucks because i have been really frustrated trying to do that allready...I download ed the beta 1006-006 from asus..its a zip file..dont know what the hell to do with it after that.tried opening it ,with everything but a screw driver..it opend ib a media player but is just some words that say...admin/oo6/p5ad2/bios blahblah whatever..doesnt do anything and don't know what I'm supposed to be doing to get it to run.Am i supposed to just some how be running this in windows o making a disk? or a oie?or aflash ...i hate windows...and having to do so much shit everytime you want to do anything...I'm really not a moron and have built a bunch of systems.I understand the whole concept.I just think it sucks that we wotk off of a system whos diections for getting into your bios is "JAM ON THE F* KEY"Really?,what moron came up with that...not to mention the whole code thing when you have a bsod...a bunch of codes pop up...i have to look them up on google?,,which is tough since MY SYSTEM JUST CRASHED!IF I COULD GET TO GOOGLE WHY WOULD I BE HERE?..how about plain snglish hey heres what happened to your system ya need to do this...and don't evemn get me started on the whole rar,zip crap..compress decompress extract thios archuve that...that's for the system angineers..i don't want to be bothered with that shit.i should be able to just hit a simple OPEN key and it should work.whatever decomp,extracting whtever should be going on in the backround and not need me....sorry for venting...im pissed.....back to the mem..what do you think...im typing so the 1 gig seems ok...what would happen if i threw in the old 2 sticks totally diff speed averything...huge no no i know...but im was just wondering...thanks man...waiting on help..guess I'll check in later