Budget SSD needed!

rajmccurry

Honorable
Jun 3, 2013
For my first PC build, I'm considering throwing in an SSD. However, I'm on a tight budget so I want with just enough space for Windows 7/8 OS, Steam and maybe Chrome if that's possible.

I have no idea how much space that would take and how big the SSD would have to be, so can anyone tell me what size or brand or even a specific SSD they would recommend?

The only requirements are that it can't be expensive at all and it should be of good quality/good reviews.

Thanks!

Kurifox

Honorable
Jul 30, 2013
Good read here: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ultra-plus-ssd-nand,3502.html

The sandisk 64gb is probably what you need, for a price of 60$ (1$/gb), it would be enough for the OS, steam web browsers and maybe one or two games.

You also have to remember that this will be your main drive, meaning that anything that you place on desktop will fill the SSD (i kno this seems obvious but a lot of people not used to having low space, and filling up their desktop will forget).

CheezMeister

Honorable
Jun 10, 2013
I would second the Samsung above. I bought the 120GB 840 and have been VERY happy with it so far, over the last 3 months, for my first build. You don't NEED that much space, but you can get them at relatively good prices right now since Samsung just released their new EVO line. You could probably find one of the 120GB models for around $90 right now.

I would also recommend that you get a HDD to supplement (especially if you go smaller than 120GB) because that SSD will fill up in a heartbeat. Windows will take around 30GB, assuming you don't go through the trouble of stripping down the install. If you're getting a HDD, you don't need a 120GB SSD, but I'd still say an SSD is TOTALLY worth it. 5-8 seconds to boot from hitting the button to launching Steam.

HDD suggestion: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3232686 ($69.99) -- but you can definitely cut cost by going to a smaller HDD if 1TB is more than you need.

I also wouldn't put steam on the SSD, nor chrome. Won't make much difference to the speed of the applications and it takes up space unnecessarily.