Monitor not detecting signal

makoenergy99

Honorable
Aug 5, 2013
I have a problem where my monitor is not detecting a signal from my PC when I'm connected to the motherboard.

Here's the deal:
When I first booted up my PC, I used a VGA cable to connect to the monitor and it worked fine. But I looked at the display drivers and apparently my graphics card was not detected. I thought maybe it was because my card was not in the proper slot.

So I took apart my computer (because changing slots involved removing my case's expansion slot plates and I can't remove them without removing the motherboard), moved my graphics card to a different PCI slot, put everything back together, and booted up my PC again.

My monitor did not detect a signal. At first I thought it was the VGA cable so I switched to a monitor that used a DVI cable ( I was going to use this one as my main anyway), plugged that cable in, and it still could not detect a signal.
On a whim, I tried connecting directly to my graphics card and now it's working fine.

I'm worried that this may cause problems in the long term or performance issues but since connecting to my motherboard isn't working I'm kind of stuck with having it plugged directly to my graphics card.

Any suggestions/insights?

My specs:
amd A8-5600k CPU
Gigabyte GA-F2A85X-D3H motherboard
XFX Radeon HD 7750 graphics card with 2gb DDR3

Thanks for your time

Jaxem

Honorable
You can't just switch cables back and forth from the graphics card to the motherboard, it just doesn't work that way, when the computer boots it starts outputting on one display adapter, and the other is more or less disabled. You'll want to stay plugged into your graphics card anyway or else it's not providing any benefit. But if you take the card out, and plug into the motherboard, i'm betting it would work just fine. Most motherboards default to a PCIE graphics card if they detect one though.