Help identifying if Harddrive is toast!?

nanuk1337

Honorable
Aug 5, 2013
Yesterday at some point while I was at work my computer seems to have died.

When I came back to it after work I rebooted the computer and after the normal bios screen it goes onto the windows error recovery page.

If I choose 'Start windows normally' then it starts to boot up then I get he .3 second BSOD and it begins the process again.

If I choose 'Launch Startup Repair' then it loads onto a blue splash page and then nothing happens at all.

I then decided to try to run the repair tool from the windows 7 installation cd. It goes through the 'windows is loading files' page. Goes through the 'starting windows screen', I complete the drop down box section for language and keyboard type etc and hit the next button. Then I click on the 'repair your computer' area and it goes back to another blue splash screen and nothing happens. I don't even get the next menu of system restore options etc.

I have two 1tb hardrives (one for mainly windows 7 and the other for general storage) so im thinking that the windows HD is now toast but im trying to think of any other ways that I can confirm this.

Im *sure* at startup I notice that both Harddrives are detected, but as stated above I have no way of actually getting into the computer to try to repair or identify what the hell went on while I was at work.

I used a Linux source to retrieve some items that I had on that hard drive and was very successful. I got all my important documents off it and photos etc.

Just want a sure fire way of confirming that I do actually need a new hard Drive or whether the symptoms seem more of a software issue?

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Most HDD makers have on their website for free download a suite of diagnostic utilities for their drives that will do a lot of good tests and tell you what you need to know. For example, Seagate has Seatools for DOS, and WD has Data Lifeguard for DOS. Get the one from the website of your HDD maker.

Actually, you will need to use someone else's computer for this, and you'll need it to contain a CD burner. You'll also need a blank CD-R and software able to burn what is known as an ".iso file" (it's just a complete image of a finished CD) to the blank disk - something like Nero.

Get the "for DOS" version of the utilities, if you can. You download that and burn it to a CD. Then you place it in the optical drive of your FAULTY computer and boot from it. (If your BIOS is not set to do this already, you may have to go into BIOS Setup and change the setting.) The computer will load a mini-DOS Operating System into RAM and let you run all its testing routines from a menu system. This works even if you have NO HDD in your machine that can work properly. You are booting an OS from the CD, so it does not need the HDD to function for that.

nanuk1337

Honorable
Aug 5, 2013

Thanks, I appreciate your help. Sounds like exactly what im looking for.