Votes: 3 20.0%
  • GTX 770

Votes: 12 80.0%

• Total voters

goaskalice00

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2011
Hey all,

I've been running on a Gigabyte GTX 560 for some time now, and I've decided that it's time for an upgrade. Here's my situation:

I'm currently unsure of whether or not I should buy a GTX 760, or a GTX 770. I am painfully aware of the impending (well, sorta) release of the Maxwell 800 series next year, which is supposed to be significantly faster than what we have now. I'm pretty sure I'm going to invest in one, UNLESS my current card is doing just fine.

As for my needs, I'd like to be able to run all of the high end titles, like Crysis 3, Last Light, and the upcoming Watch Dogs, at no lower than 40 FPS completely maxed out (well, maybe with a little drop in AA if needed). I want to be able to handle cutting edge graphics for at least a year. The Gtx 760 seems like a solid candidate for these prerequisites.

However, if the GTX 770 can handle all of the high end games to my standards for the next 2, even 3 years, than I'd rather go with that. I'm assuming that a year after the first Maxwell cards, they'll release an improved series of cards based on the architecture, as they did this generation.

I guess what I'm saying is, will the GTX 770 start dragging behind a year or two from now, or will it remain top of the line for some time to come? I'm not filthy rich or anything, so money is an issue, although I can afford both at the moment, the GTX 770 is $140 more, thus $140 less money to spend on other things.

Should I go with the GTX 760, or the GTX 770?

Thanks!

fnatic

Honorable
Jun 25, 2013
The 770 will hold it's own for at least 2 years. Later on if you want you can SLI them and it'll still destroy any game that comes it's way for at least 3 years+. What resolution do you use and do you play any modded games? I know crysis at all max does go over the 2gb of VRAM so you might want to consider the 4gb version.

goaskalice00

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2011
I also just realized that the GTX 760 is extremely powerful in SLI. SLI'd 760s preform almost identically to the GTX Titan, and only cost $120 more than a 770.

What are the disadvantages of SLI, and does this change your opinion?

fnatic

Honorable
Jun 25, 2013
Of course, if you're able to do that then i'd venture down that option. I'd maybe consider getting the 4gb versions just in case you choose to go to a higher resolution later on or you like games like crysis or Skyrim with mods.

760's in SLI is a fantastic option.

goaskalice00

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2011
Now I've realized that I may have to upgrade my PSU to SLI 760s. Right now I have a 600wt corsair...

How can I determine how much power I'll need for SLI 760s?

fnatic

Honorable
Jun 25, 2013
index.php

750 will be more than enough for those two cards. You could probably use the 600 watt but I would at least get a 750 for some headroom. Your full system will probably use up 550watts or so under a gaming load. That's providing nothing is overclocked and what not.

goaskalice00

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2011
Man, thanks for all the help! Do you think that a GTX 760 will tie me over until the Maxwells?

After some research, it appears that the 770 averages 10 FPS over the 760. I'm just not sure if this is worth it or not. Neither seem capable of maxing out Crysis 3 (760=29 FPS, 770=33 FPS).

I guess I'm skeptical that a 770 will handle games for another 2 years, considering that it can't reach 40FPS in maxed out Crysis 3.

fnatic

Honorable
Jun 25, 2013
Crysis is a different game all around lol. No game comes close to what crysis does to a computer and GPU. Like you said earlier if you SLI 760s now or further on you'll be fine for at least 2 years. 4gb versions would help as well.

No problem at all man, keeps me busy while at work haha.

Dayday831

Honorable
Jul 29, 2013

Uses more power than a single card setup, takes more space, every game will not support the setup initially. Temperatures can be higher, but if you have a case with good airflow, or use the blower style cooler it shouldn't be that much hotter.

skilledman101

Honorable
Jul 14, 2013
Sorry to butt in, but thought I could throw in my two cents on this. 760 is a pretty damn good card, but it probably won't hold its own (without SLI, of course) after about a year or so from now, around the time the next-next gen games come out (Battlefield 5 or whatever) which is when you might want to use the SLI option, assuming you are using 1080p with optimal settings. The SLI does present its own set of problems, such as the possibility of micro-stuttering, increased power draw, heat, etc etc, essentially everything Dayday said. A 770 will be able to hold on for a bit longer, through another two or so years of games before optimal settings wouldn't be as pleasurable. You could choose to SLI the 770's, which would be incredibly powerful but again would deal with the same problems as any other SLI configuration. Now the SLI would be a good option down the road despite these problems because in a few years these cards will (hopefully) be a bit cheaper, and would get rid of the need to upgrade to a whole new GPU. Or you could choose to wait a few months for the 8000 series from AMD coming this fall (price varies, but rumored to be more powerful than any other card out there) or wait for the GTX 800 series, which you are painfully awaiting :)

fnatic

Honorable
Jun 25, 2013

Exactly what he said, you'll see a rise in temps but nothing too dramatic. You can easily compensate with extra fans and such. 760s or 770's in SLI will last at least two years. Also MOST big name games support SLI if not all of them. Very little games no a days don't have the support for them. If they don't have the support then they will most likely be getting it sometime soon if it's still a relevant game.

I'm a nurse and I work a 12 hour night shift. :p Only reason I'm on is because it's really slow tonight, haha.

goaskalice00

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2011
No problem, I actually want as many opinions as possible!

I know that I will be buying one of the Maxwell cards, if not in 2014, than definitely in 2015. I prefer a single card setup over SLI

How taxing do you guys think games will be over the upcoming year? Games like Watch Dogs, Assassin's Creed IV, Battlefield 4, MGS Ground Zeroes, and whatever else comes about? The PS4 will supposedly run these at 60 FPS. Do you think a GTX 760 will be able to do the same? I know it's damn near impossible to tell...

Still not sure if playing at 50 FPS instead of 40 FPS is worth the extra $140, when the new architecture will probably run almost everything at 60 FPS...

skilledman101

Honorable
Jul 14, 2013

Its really hard to tell how well things will run figuring the minimum and required specs for most of these games haven't officially been announced. Nvidia claimed the 760 will have increased performance in next gen games (BF4 COD Ghosts) with the 760, but that means not much of anything. Really hard to tell at this point, but I am figuring they will probably be able to handle these new games at atleast high quality, which will be better than the PS4.

fnatic

Honorable
Jun 25, 2013
First of all the new consoles will be playing a very dumbed down version. A 760 is LEAPS and BOUNDS above what they have inside of them so no point in comparing the two. As for the games you listed yes but you'll have to tweak a few settings to hit the magic number for FPS. Just like in all games. Turn off a few things such as AA or of that sort. Your game won't look different or feel different but your FPS will spike up. The memory bandwith with the 760 and 770 are increased which will help out a lot. A 760 right now will fun any game comfortable on medium/high and any game for the next year or two depending on how you set your in game settings.

You'll be able to run on ultra or whatever but you won't have the best fps or most stable (30ish fps but maybe spikes or drops). For me I competitive game and I actually run all of my settings on low with a few on high. I have dual 770s and get well over 140fps in all games. I have 144hz monitor that I utilize and get the most fulid game play from. So it all depends on your definition of your perfect settings.

Oldbutstillatit

Honorable
Jul 4, 2012

determinologyz

Honorable
Sep 21, 2012

The 770s in sli would be a more powerful then 760s..The more cores/bandwidth/bus/rops will play out alot better from 2 770s more so

skilledman101

Honorable
Jul 14, 2013
I had a very simple MSI single-fan 760 which had a bogus fan right out of the box. Thing would hit 100 degrees Celsius before shutting down. Couldn't get a replacement either because the thing got discontinued 2 days after I bought it. Go with the Windforce if you can. Cooling is amazing and higher clock speeds then some of the other models. EVGA isn't bad either, so check out their Superclocked 760.

determinologyz

Honorable
Sep 21, 2012

I still would go for a 770 tbh then sli later on if possible..Just a 770 does nicely by its self and 2 would wreck shop

TRENDING THREADS