FX8350 running 60c idle

Lukeplo

Honorable
Aug 6, 2013
My fx 8350 is running at 60c on a coldish day! Help! This is just when sitting in the bios. I ruined the thermal paste so I think I will go get a hyper 212 evo, but how much of a difference will it make? I don't know what's normal for idle temps, but I know this isn't. Any help would be appreciated! Thanks

Zac Lloyd-Jones

Honorable
Jul 4, 2013
Yes if you are coming from a stock cooler it should make a great difference, as long as you do a good job of the thermal paste. Just look on YouTube for tutorials of how to do it. The 212 evo is a great cooler for a great price :)

Bill Reinhardt

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2013
Holy $hit, thats a hot idle! There may be another issue there. Re-do the thermal paste (less is more, do a bit of google-ing) and see if that helps. Even the stock cooler shouldn't idle that hot.

Just to let you know, when you are in the BIOS the CPU will be running at 100% (AMD / Intel) because the BIOS does not have any instructions (Cool 'n Quiet / Speedstep) to slowdown the CPU. You will need to load Windows so that those instructions can be sent to the CPU when appropriate.

DaniXks

Honorable
May 22, 2013
I have the FX-8150 and my temps right now are 46 C ...in the BIOS somehow the temps are higher around 51 C... but 60 is too much even for your CPU!

Lukeplo

Honorable
Aug 6, 2013
Thanks guys, yesterday I bought myself an antec kuhler 620 (btw the instructions are terrible!), and in bios I hover around 47c now. Also, I think my bios is very inaccurate because if I put my hand over the CPU it does not seem to be that hot, and the radiate at the back (which I have in push pull with 2 fans) is not throwing out air that is as hot as it would be, and neither was the stock cooler. However my Wifi isn't strong enough in this room to download anything, so today I will either buy some kind of booster or a power line and I should be able to download power core and the others (which is best?). Lol sorry for the fat paragraph!

Lukeplo

Honorable
Aug 6, 2013
Oh and I just read that when it reached 62c it will shut down, and I reached that in bios then opened windows and it worked fine. Should I clear CMOS?

Lukeplo

Honorable
Aug 6, 2013
As I thought, the bios was not accurate, HWmonitor and core temp both give me somewhere around 30 idle, and I allowed them to go up to 48 degrees under prime 95! If I clear CMOS will it fix?