7870 Crossfire: Motherboard Bottleneck?

thanksforthefish87

Honorable
Aug 1, 2013
Hello, I am considering crossfiring my 7870 soon to give myself a performance boost for next gen games. However, my Motherboard's
PCI-E-2.0 slots are (16x, 4x)

Will 4x bottleneck the second 7870? And if so how much of a bottleneck would it be?

Also will it make me more prone to issues such as microstutter?

Help is much appreciated

dont use crossfire with a 4 x slot, it wont decrease overall fps all that much, but it will increase stuttering due to the uneven rendering speeds created by the 4 x slot (more-so, as crossfire introduces stuttering anyway, wouldnt recommend it). As far as i have seen, anyone that has cross-fired with a 4x slot has regretted it, and most of them sold the second card or updated the motherboard. so if i were you, just sell the 7870 while its still worth a good amount and get a 7970.

thanksforthefish87

Honorable
Aug 1, 2013

I'm not going to sell this card so that's off the table.

well either stick with what you have currently, or get a new motherboard and a second 7870 and suffer with crossfire problems and AMD driver issues....
If i were you i would sell the card and get a better single card or just keep the 7870 for a while and maybe OC it.

thanksforthefish87

Honorable
Aug 1, 2013

I just said I'm not going to sell the card and it's already Overclocked

PlanarX999

Honorable
May 20, 2013
AMD driver not fix crossfire microstutter?? Why say that? At least the driver mitigate microstutter for long time gaming, yet pratical FPS still not as good as 13.6 beta(AMD 7990, not sure about others), and yes 13.8 beta still introduce microstutter, but occasionally. So, what? It not a big problem, at least for someone not really ???(no words).
I bet they will release better driver in near-future, hope so!