belarc doesn't say if RAM is sdram or dimm

dvzon

Honorable
Aug 5, 2013
Hello, I read the FAQ about ram, but I'm still confused about one thing. I'm trying to expand my memory to 8gb now that I upgraded to 64 bit win7 sp1. The original 4 I have on the pc are: DDR2 PC2-8500 x1 (4 of them total=4gb). When I use CRUCIAL.COM to show me what I should get it says the following:

DDR2 PC2-8500 • CL=7 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR2-1066 • 1.8V • 256Meg x 64 • • Part #: CT798994

My question is, why doesn't It tell me if it's DIMM or SDRAM? Or is it none? If I want to buy ram from another place, what exactly am I looking for? Everywhere I go it either says dimm or sdram.

Thank you in advance for your help!

dvzon

Honorable
Aug 5, 2013

Thank you for your help. This answered my question:)

Legohouse

Honorable
May 13, 2013

DIMM refers to form factor of the memory which is used in desktops, servers, workstations etc. Usually, DDR2 memory is often reffered as DDR2 SDRAM. Here DDR2 is the memory, but SDRAM is the technology on which the whole DDR stuff is based on so they tend to use it together. When you need memory for you current system all you need to do is check how much your system supports (max) , the number of slots, the compatible memory speed and based on these you can search for compatible memory.

This line has all you need to knowto get the RAM from anywhere DDR2 PC2-8500 • CL=7 • Unbuffered • NON-ECC • DDR2-1066 • 1.8V Don't worry abou the CL much, but the other stuff is important. You are confusing the two terms, they are not "either/or" but are totally different things. Not like blue car or a red car but more of a red car and zebra wearing a funny hat comparison.