Opening Computer Shop, any advice?

batmanbob

Honorable
Jun 27, 2013
I own a computer repair business and I am meeting with my accountant Wednesday then my real estate agent Thursday.

Obviously I'll do all the general computer repairs, sales, services, builds, etc.

I wanted to know if any of you guys could give me some advice on advertising or things I could do different from everyone else to help me stand out.

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/bigbobscomputerrepair?ref=hl

I've done alot of market research and found that my business can be very lucrative... I just want to be different from my competition in other counties so my customers want to come to me.

Thanks for any advice you guys can give!

Bob

Solution
As the old adage goes, you have to spend money to make money. With that in mind, the website is severely lacking. I would hire a professional to re-design it to give it a much more polished, professional look. If I were in the market for someone with technical savvy I would look to someone with a bit more to offer. As a consumer I would want to know years of experience, any certifications you have, additional pricing (you mention a $20 diagnostic fee but nothing for an hourly rate, etc.), guarantees, BBB/Angie's List recommendations, etc. The pictures listed on your website didn't really scream professional to me, either. You showed a shot of one custom PC but the others appeared to be regular, run-of-the-mill PCs you could buy at...

jaxst

Honorable
Jun 25, 2013

It really depends on your location, currently the market is flooded with these kinds of shops and it is a real competitive market. At the same time there is a lot of money to be made because of the sheer amount of consumers out there that are technologically oblivious that seek professional help when there is more than enough on the internet.

Also that website isn't going to cut it, it doesn't look the most professional and it isn't a .com, spend some coin and get a real website so you can get some more exposure. This is the key idea with any start up of any business. Exposure is very key for the first 2 years, most money should be invested in advertising and marketing for these first 2 years if you are making profit. Also, I suggest starting an online business and do at home/business service rather than opening a business right away, building a clientele is key. Most businesses with actual locations make most of their sales online so building a successful website is key. You should seek a kit website developing company (which might be a cheaper option) to start an online sales website such as volusion.

some things that are simple and very beneficial to a company,

> try to accept your competitions coupons if they do offer them, this saves you money on advertising because other companies pay to send out coupons that can be used at your store, do a little research to see what the other companies in your area are offering and see if you can match or even exceed their coupon offers.

> offer delivery services and onsite service

>community events, get involved and known around where you are situated, easy way to build clientele, from churches to sports, these are excellent meeting grounds to build a clientele

>encourage your clients to spread the word about your company by offering incentives.

> expand from local to national markets using the internet

>give your products a retail format to make them appealing to consumers, such as labeling/packaging which makes other computer stores inferior.

>combine your products to sell multiple products at once to boost your main product sales.

>cater to the elderly, offer seminars to teach elderly people about technology and its benefits, allows you to sample your products.

i have more marketing tactics for this sort of field, but i am rather tired, if you think i helped, feel free to PM me with questions.

No2rdame

Honorable
Aug 21, 2013
As the old adage goes, you have to spend money to make money. With that in mind, the website is severely lacking. I would hire a professional to re-design it to give it a much more polished, professional look. If I were in the market for someone with technical savvy I would look to someone with a bit more to offer. As a consumer I would want to know years of experience, any certifications you have, additional pricing (you mention a $20 diagnostic fee but nothing for an hourly rate, etc.), guarantees, BBB/Angie's List recommendations, etc. The pictures listed on your website didn't really scream professional to me, either. You showed a shot of one custom PC but the others appeared to be regular, run-of-the-mill PCs you could buy at any store. If they were custom, the cable management was unimpressive. If you're going to advertise custom PCs, show multiple examples of customs that were built. If you customize cases, show them. If you install open loop water cooling, show it.

In addition to the website, prior suggestions on marketing were good. Look at all the competitors out there and see what they offer. How can you differentiate? What are your strengths and weaknesses, opportunities and threats? Lastly, expect to lose money for at least six months. Most startup businesses aren't successful because owners don't prepare for losses at the beginning of their business.

Solution