Black bar appeared on the right side of my screen

panaanxd

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2011
I have a HP LE1901w monitor that i have used with 1440x900 (60hz) settings for about a year now.
Earlier today i was playing with the monitor cord and the black bar just appeared on the right side of the screen. I did not press any buttons, i did not get any messages. The resolution is still the same. I can see the whole screen, its just shrinked. When i try to move the position of the screen in nvidia control panel, the screen moves behind the black bar.

Playing with monitor & display settings, resetting them has not fixed anything.
I also updated my graphic card drivers, that didn't fix anything either.
I also tried to use 1280x1024 resolution, and that way the whole screen was filled (no black bars), but it just appeared awfully stretched.

I'm using windows 7 (64-bit) and i have a Nvidia geforce gts 450.

Any help would be appreciated, I didn't manage to find any solutions with google either.

Solution
well...If when you used the 1280x1024 resolution that bar dissapeared, that gives me the impression that it's the graphics card... the 450 GTS was released 3 years ago...If it was running really hot all this time, maybe that caused the problem :(

edit: If you have an integrated graphics card, try to use that ( change the BIOS settings ), and see if the problem persists...

If yes, it's the monitor - If no, it's the graphics card :)

DaniXks

Honorable
May 22, 2013
well...If when you used the 1280x1024 resolution that bar dissapeared, that gives me the impression that it's the graphics card... the 450 GTS was released 3 years ago...If it was running really hot all this time, maybe that caused the problem :(

edit: If you have an integrated graphics card, try to use that ( change the BIOS settings ), and see if the problem persists...

If yes, it's the monitor - If no, it's the graphics card :)

Solution

panaanxd

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2011
The only thing i could find in BIOS was [ configuration > video > primary video adapter] That gave me 3 choices: Auto, PCIe graphics (PEG) and PCI graphics. Tried all the 3 settings, they didn't seem to change anything.

Am i looking in the wrong place? Haven't used BIOS too often, sorry.

panaanxd

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2011
Okay, so i think i might have fixed it. I went under nvidia control panel/change resolution to create a custom resolution for myself. I chose 1440x900 but i changed the hz value to 61 and my screen was fixed. Should have probably looked around a bit more myself, but thanks everyone for your help.

But i have no idea what this really means. Should i still be worried about my monitor or my gpu?
61hz setting froze my computer after using it for 5 minutes. So far i'm fine with 59hz right now. 60hz still has black bars