Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Overclocking with AMD fx 8350?

Last response: in Overclocking
Share
a b K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
August 6, 2013 11:12:35 AM

Hey guys
I just bought the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO, and i'm about to get the AMD fx 8350 CPU. (Upgrading from fx 4100)
So first of all, is it worth it, buying the 8350 over 4100? Since i have 7950 card, and i'm pretty sure my 4100 CPU is bottlenecking it. So, when i get my 8350, then there will be a new problem, how HIGH can i actually overclock it, with Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO? :) 

Thank you!!

Specs:
8gb ram
7950 AMD
8350 fx CPU
gigabyte 970a-d3
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
August 6, 2013 11:25:42 AM

There's no definite answer to that question, as overclocking depends on a lot of factors, the most important being the chip itself.. One 8350 could gain a lot while the next one could only gain a couple hundred of MHz. The 8350 is already a very powerful processor with 4.0 GHz stock (4.2 GHz on turbo), and it's unlocked, making overclocking easier.

Your motherboard is also a very important factor, and while yours is not bad, it's not a motherboard designed for aggressive overclocking, as it has 4+1 phase, vs the gigabyte 970A-UD3 (you have the 970A-D3) that has 8+2. So your MoBo might limit you a bit.

And finally your cooler, the CM Hyper 212 Evo is a great cooler and will enable you to offset a bit your MoBos limitations.

So, you will be able to squeeze a few hundred MHz, but don't expect to break records. Just find a speed where your PC is rock-stable and runs fairly cool and quiet.
a b K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
August 6, 2013 11:31:08 AM

serge44 said:
There's no definite answer to that question, as overclocking depends on a lot of factors, the most important being the chip itself.. One 8350 could gain a lot while the next one could only gain a couple hundred of MHz. The 8350 is already a very powerful processor with 4.0 GHz stock (4.2 GHz on turbo), and it's unlocked, making overclocking easier.

Your motherboard is also a very important factor, and while yours is not bad, it's not a motherboard designed for aggressive overclocking, as it has 4+1 phase, vs the gigabyte 970A-UD3 (you have the 970A-D3) that has 8+2. So your MoBo might limit you a bit.

And finally your cooler, the CM Hyper 212 Evo is a great cooler and will enable you to offset a bit your MoBos limitations.

So, you will be able to squeeze a few hundred MHz, but don't expect to break records. Just find a speed where your PC is rock-stable and runs fairly cool and quiet.


Thank you a lot for your answer!
Do you think that it's a good choice to upgrade from 4100 to 8350? Because the 4100 really bottlenecks my card, but i've read other places where people say that it won't boost fps a lot with the 8350 cpu..
Again, thank you for your answer! :) 
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
August 6, 2013 11:36:58 AM

fjaesbog said:
serge44 said:
There's no definite answer to that question, as overclocking depends on a lot of factors, the most important being the chip itself.. One 8350 could gain a lot while the next one could only gain a couple hundred of MHz. The 8350 is already a very powerful processor with 4.0 GHz stock (4.2 GHz on turbo), and it's unlocked, making overclocking easier.

Your motherboard is also a very important factor, and while yours is not bad, it's not a motherboard designed for aggressive overclocking, as it has 4+1 phase, vs the gigabyte 970A-UD3 (you have the 970A-D3) that has 8+2. So your MoBo might limit you a bit.

And finally your cooler, the CM Hyper 212 Evo is a great cooler and will enable you to offset a bit your MoBos limitations.

So, you will be able to squeeze a few hundred MHz, but don't expect to break records. Just find a speed where your PC is rock-stable and runs fairly cool and quiet.


Thank you a lot for your answer!
Do you think that it's a good choice to upgrade from 4100 to 8350? Because the 4100 really bottlenecks my card, but i've read other places where people say that it won't boost fps a lot with the 8350 cpu..
Again, thank you for your answer! :) 


Why are you sure it bottlenecks your card? Do you see it running at full 100% on all 4 cores all the time while gaming? What resolution do you game on, what kind of games do you play?

I agree with what you've read, I don't think that the difference between the 4100 and the 8350 is worth the investment, at least not for gaming..
a b K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
August 6, 2013 11:42:36 AM

When i play Battlefield 3 for example, it runs around 30-60 fps depending on where im located (in the town, or outside the town). So basically when i change the graphics, or lower the resolution, nothing happens, it still remains the same fps no matter what.
I've tried to bumb up my CPU at 4.0ghz, it went up 10 more fps. But since i only had the stocking cooler at that point, it went over 80c, and crashed multiple times. Tomorrow i'll be getting the Evo Cooler master, and now im one step away from ordering the 8350, but i'm still not sure whether i should order it or not..
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
August 6, 2013 11:54:39 AM

fjaesbog said:
When i play Battlefield 3 for example, it runs around 30-60 fps depending on where im located (in the town, or outside the town). So basically when i change the graphics, or lower the resolution, nothing happens, it still remains the same fps no matter what.
I've tried to bumb up my CPU at 4.0ghz, it went up 10 more fps. But since i only had the stocking cooler at that point, it went over 80c, and crashed multiple times. Tomorrow i'll be getting the Evo Cooler master, and now im one step away from ordering the 8350, but i'm still not sure whether i should order it or not..


This happens on single player or multiplayer? (Multiplayer is much more CPU-bound). With that card you shouldn't be gaming at anything less than 1920x1080 (monitor permitting).

I simply can't see a significant, perceivable leap from the 4100 to the 8350; if you're getting the 212 tomorrow, try maintaining a stable overclock (even if it isn't 4.0 GHz) and see how it goes. If you're still aren't convinced, and have the money, get the 8350. You should still be able to sell the 4100 for a good price.
a b K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
August 6, 2013 12:14:23 PM

serge44 said:
fjaesbog said:
When i play Battlefield 3 for example, it runs around 30-60 fps depending on where im located (in the town, or outside the town). So basically when i change the graphics, or lower the resolution, nothing happens, it still remains the same fps no matter what.
I've tried to bumb up my CPU at 4.0ghz, it went up 10 more fps. But since i only had the stocking cooler at that point, it went over 80c, and crashed multiple times. Tomorrow i'll be getting the Evo Cooler master, and now im one step away from ordering the 8350, but i'm still not sure whether i should order it or not..


This happens on single player or multiplayer? (Multiplayer is much more CPU-bound). With that card you shouldn't be gaming at anything less than 1920x1080 (monitor permitting).

I simply can't see a significant, perceivable leap from the 4100 to the 8350; if you're getting the 212 tomorrow, try maintaining a stable overclock (even if it isn't 4.0 GHz) and see how it goes. If you're still aren't convinced, and have the money, get the 8350. You should still be able to sell the 4100 for a good price.


In multiplayer. Oh well, i'll just give it another go. I'll try to bump up to 4.2ghz. and see if it helps. If it's stable then i'll just wait till Steamrollers roll in :) 

Appreciate your time and answers Serge44. I'll throw in a update tomorrow how it went :) 
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
August 6, 2013 12:21:12 PM

fjaesbog said:
serge44 said:
fjaesbog said:
When i play Battlefield 3 for example, it runs around 30-60 fps depending on where im located (in the town, or outside the town). So basically when i change the graphics, or lower the resolution, nothing happens, it still remains the same fps no matter what.
I've tried to bumb up my CPU at 4.0ghz, it went up 10 more fps. But since i only had the stocking cooler at that point, it went over 80c, and crashed multiple times. Tomorrow i'll be getting the Evo Cooler master, and now im one step away from ordering the 8350, but i'm still not sure whether i should order it or not..


This happens on single player or multiplayer? (Multiplayer is much more CPU-bound). With that card you shouldn't be gaming at anything less than 1920x1080 (monitor permitting).

I simply can't see a significant, perceivable leap from the 4100 to the 8350; if you're getting the 212 tomorrow, try maintaining a stable overclock (even if it isn't 4.0 GHz) and see how it goes. If you're still aren't convinced, and have the money, get the 8350. You should still be able to sell the 4100 for a good price.


In multiplayer. Oh well, i'll just give it another go. I'll try to bump up to 4.2ghz. and see if it helps. If it's stable then i'll just wait till Steamrollers roll in :) 

Appreciate your time and answers Serge44. I'll throw in a update tomorrow how it went :) 


Hope to have helped. You should be happy with the new temps you'll get from the 212.

Please don't forget to close the post by selecting an answer.
a b K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
August 6, 2013 12:28:39 PM

serge44 said:
fjaesbog said:
serge44 said:
fjaesbog said:
When i play Battlefield 3 for example, it runs around 30-60 fps depending on where im located (in the town, or outside the town). So basically when i change the graphics, or lower the resolution, nothing happens, it still remains the same fps no matter what.
I've tried to bumb up my CPU at 4.0ghz, it went up 10 more fps. But since i only had the stocking cooler at that point, it went over 80c, and crashed multiple times. Tomorrow i'll be getting the Evo Cooler master, and now im one step away from ordering the 8350, but i'm still not sure whether i should order it or not..


This happens on single player or multiplayer? (Multiplayer is much more CPU-bound). With that card you shouldn't be gaming at anything less than 1920x1080 (monitor permitting).

I simply can't see a significant, perceivable leap from the 4100 to the 8350; if you're getting the 212 tomorrow, try maintaining a stable overclock (even if it isn't 4.0 GHz) and see how it goes. If you're still aren't convinced, and have the money, get the 8350. You should still be able to sell the 4100 for a good price.


In multiplayer. Oh well, i'll just give it another go. I'll try to bump up to 4.2ghz. and see if it helps. If it's stable then i'll just wait till Steamrollers roll in :) 

Appreciate your time and answers Serge44. I'll throw in a update tomorrow how it went :) 


Hope to have helped. You should be happy with the new temps you'll get from the 212.

Please don't forget to close the post by selecting an answer.



Darn it!
This is my first post here, and i had no idea that i could chose between discussions and question threads... Is there a way to edit this? Sorry!
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
August 6, 2013 12:49:36 PM

You can change it.

Go back to your thread and edit your first post. Then change the thread from discussion or poll to question. They are tabs on the top of the area where you edit your post.
a b K Overclocking
a b à CPUs
a b V Motherboard
August 6, 2013 12:55:13 PM

I've requested it to change to question. When it comes on i'll be selecting your answer asap :) 
Thanks again.
!