Sign in with
Your question

NEED HELP - PC Parts List First Build

Tags:
Last response: in Opinions and Experiences
August 6, 2013 12:17:35 PM

I'm new to the PC world and am looking to build a pretty decent gaming pc this year. I would like to know opinions of parts that I have picked out and how well they might all work together considering your knowledge. And also if it would be smart to wait until around Black Friday to get the parts off off Amazon, Newegg, or Tiger Direct.

I would like to not have to upgrade for up to 4 years.

CPU: i7-3770k 3.5bg 8mb Cache
Mobo: Asus Sabertooth Z77
GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770 GDDR-5 2gb Windforce
RAM: Corsair Vengeance RED 8gb (2x4gb)
Case: Cooler Master HAF 912
PSU: Corsair Professional AX 850
Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO

Please help!!

More about : parts list build

August 7, 2013 4:21:34 AM

If you only plan on gaming, get the i5-3570k instead of the i7. The i7 utilizes Intel's hyper-threading technology which adds 4 logical cores (making it technically a 8-core system) but only editing and rendering programs make use of the 4 logical cores so games will not take advantage of that feature and won't for quite some time. Your PSU is a bit overkill but since you plan on future proofing as much a you can I would have done the same. Instead of the Sabertooth, get the Asus P8Z77-V LK, you won't need the extra features the Sabertooth comes with. For you GPU, do you plan on using SLI? If no then grab a EVGA GTX 780 SC ACX with the money saved from the CPU and Motherboard. If yes then instead of the Gigabyte card I would grab a EVGA GTX 770 SC ACX 2GB now and get a second one when the 700 series Nvidia cards get their prices dropped. Your Ram will cause a conflict with your cooler because of the large fins, buy the low profile version instead, there will be no performance difference. Everything else is alright and if you can wait for the season of sales (AKA the holiday season hehe) then go ahead.
August 7, 2013 9:54:28 AM

Platinum Era said:
If you only plan on gaming, get the i5-3570k instead of the i7. The i7 utilizes Intel's hyper-threading technology which adds 4 logical cores (making it technically a 8-core system) but only editing and rendering programs make use of the 4 logical cores so games will not take advantage of that feature and won't for quite some time. Your PSU is a bit overkill but since you plan on future proofing as much a you can I would have done the same. Instead of the Sabertooth, get the Asus P8Z77-V LK, you won't need the extra features the Sabertooth comes with. For you GPU, do you plan on using SLI? If no then grab a EVGA GTX 780 SC ACX with the money saved from the CPU and Motherboard. If yes then instead of the Gigabyte card I would grab a EVGA GTX 770 SC ACX 2GB now and get a second one when the 700 series Nvidia cards get their prices dropped. Your Ram will cause a conflict with your cooler because of the large fins, buy the low profile version instead, there will be no performance difference. Everything else is alright and if you can wait for the season of sales (AKA the holiday season hehe) then go ahead.

Haha since I posted this I kinda changed my mind on some things

CPU: i5-4670k (gonna OC)
GPU: EVGA 4gb GTX 770 (gonna OC + future sli)
Not sure if I should just get the 2gb tho?
PSU: Corsair HX750
Mobo: MSI Z87-GD45
Cooler: Corsair H55 Quiet Edition
August 7, 2013 10:04:37 AM

Crrmm-_Dffrr said:
Platinum Era said:

Haha since I posted this I kinda changed my mind on some things

CPU: i5-4670k (gonna OC)
GPU: EVGA 4gb GTX 770 (gonna OC + future sli)
Not sure if I should just get the 2gb tho?
PSU: Corsair HX750
Mobo: MSI Z87-GD45
Cooler: Corsair H55 Quiet Edition

Everything looks good. The 4 GB version could be worth it in the long run and SLIing 2 4GB 770s would be amazing performance wise. If you can spare the money go for the 4GB version. Personally I'm going to SLI 2 2GB cards in the near future. People will tell you to grab the 4GB version because of how Crysis 3 used 2.2GB Vram with everything maxed and the 4GB card would be insurance if games start using more Vram in the future. But I believe the evolution in graphics is going to slow down a bit and then we will see the technology and unique way games will be played (Oculus rift, duel screen features with BF4 and Watchdogs), reason why I grabbed a 2GB version (I also wanted to save money hehe).
!