Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

4670k vs FX 8350 : Battlefield 3/4 Need Advice on CPU and Other Upgrades PLS

Last response: in CPUs
Share
August 6, 2013 12:51:37 PM

My Current Rig:

CPU: AMD 1100T BE 3.3 GHz
GPU: Gigabyte 7950
Mobo: ASUS M4A87TD EVO -- AMD 870 w/ 2x PCI-E 2.0 x16 (blue@ x16 mode, black@ x4 mode)
RAM: 8GB (HyperX 1600 4 GB Kit 2x2 and Corsair 1600 2x2 kit)
PSU: 750 Watt -- Thermaltake TR2 TRX
SSD: 96 GB
HDD: 1TB
Cooler: CM 212 EVO
Monitor: 23" Samsung 1080p 60 Hz

So, I'll just start off by saying that I have had this computer for about 2.5 years and just recently bought the new GPU and Cooler. I have been contemplating making some major upgrades because of a few reasons:

1) I really want to be able to Crossfire my GPU in the future to possibly add 2nd monitor and get much better performance in terms of FPS
2) I want to upgrade my CPU and Mobo to accommodate the Crossfire and to just upgrade the system as a whole
3) Really want to get a larger SSD, it became such a pain in the *** to have the OS on the small drive and it filled up so qucik with just programs etc.
4) I've faced some FPS issues in Battlefield 3 multiplayer and in other games, and I'm not sure if its GPU or CPU related. Maybe I should have just gone for a 7970 instead... ugh...

Ideally, I'm looking for some feedback on those areas as well as my rig in general. I've really gotten into Battlefield over the past 2 years and want to be able to play Battlefield 4 in great graphics with great FPS. I also do some light gaming in Starcraft 2, Far Cry 3, Crysis 3 etc but Battlefield is my main game. I don't do any video editing etc so from what I've heard, I should go with an Intel build for better pure gaming performance.

Questions I would love answered by the community:

1) What would be the better CPU upgrade for me? FX 8350 or Intel 4670k? Or even wait for the new AMD ones to arrive 4Q13 or 1Q14 I'm hearing? Or don't upgrade at all because my 1100T is good enough? (Microcenter has some great bundle deals for a new Mobo+CPU going on)
2) Will it be a good idea down the line to Crossfire my 7950? I only have 1 monitor at the moment, but may get a second later on
3) Is it always best to just have the smallest combo of RAM and to keep it all consistent i.e. 4x2 for 8GB total?
4) Will my PSU be able to handle a Crossfire setup in the future? It has the necessary cables, but it doesn't say anything about being Crossfire certified anywhere on Newegg or manufacturer website...

At the moment, I'm considering these upgrades from Microcenter:

Mobo ($99): ASRock Z87 Extreme4 Socket LGA 1150 Z87 ATX Intel
CPU ($199): Intel Core i5 4670K 3.4GHz
SSD ($179): Samsung 840 250 GB SSD
RAM: No idea, if necessary probably a newer 8GB or 12GB kit

Hoping to make some major upgrades to the computer and really just speed up its every day use and my gaming performance. Thanks so much for reading my post and I will appreciate any kinds of feedback or advice. Have a great day!
a b à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
August 6, 2013 2:04:07 PM

1) 4670k. Unless you want to spend more money or something else, go with an 8320 and overclock it.
2) It'd be a better idea to SLI two 760's or two 7970's.
3) You should always have 2 sticks when possible to take advantage of dual channel memory rather than using up all slots.
4) It should be fine, it has high enough wattage, unsure about the 12v rails.
August 6, 2013 3:21:33 PM

Jonathan Sifleet said:
1) 4670k. Unless you want to spend more money or something else, go with an 8320 and overclock it.
2) It'd be a better idea to SLI two 760's or two 7970's.
3) You should always have 2 sticks when possible to take advantage of dual channel memory rather than using up all slots.
4) It should be fine, it has high enough wattage, unsure about the 12v rails.


Thanks for the reply. I'm still really torn between the i5 and FX processor series. And with rumors floating around that AMD might drop their next round of CPU, I'm not sure what to do

I will probably have to stick with my 7950 for now, and hopefully X-Fire it in the future once their next gen comes out and prices drop

I will look into some new 2 slot only memory as part of my CPU/Mobo upgrade to see if that helps performance

What did you mean specifically regarding the 12v rail? Is that like the voltage of CPU and GPU etc added up maximum?
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
August 6, 2013 3:39:59 PM

I'd still go for the i5 4670k, overclock it a bit, and it should last for a LONG time.

Yes, two sticks of x gb's of RAM will definitely improve performance, I cannot say by how much but it should help.

The 12v rails are what actually power the PC.
August 6, 2013 3:44:25 PM

Jonathan Sifleet said:
I'd still go for the i5 4670k, overclock it a bit, and it should last for a LONG time.

Yes, two sticks of x gb's of RAM will definitely improve performance, I cannot say by how much but it should help.

The 12v rails are what actually power the PC.


I find it interesting that you are actually using an 8350 and recommending the Intel for me. Is it purely because of the purposes of my needs and current situation?

I'm leaning towards the Intel stuff, 3570k or 4670k. I've heard the 4670k runs hotter once you OC it, and I only have a 212 EVO cooler. Thinking one of those might be my upgrade path, still need to do a bit of research

Thanks for the info
a b à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
August 6, 2013 3:59:55 PM

bbarber718 said:
Jonathan Sifleet said:
I'd still go for the i5 4670k, overclock it a bit, and it should last for a LONG time.

Yes, two sticks of x gb's of RAM will definitely improve performance, I cannot say by how much but it should help.

The 12v rails are what actually power the PC.


I find it interesting that you are actually using an 8350 and recommending the Intel for me. Is it purely because of the purposes of my needs and current situation?

I'm leaning towards the Intel stuff, 3570k or 4670k. I've heard the 4670k runs hotter once you OC it, and I only have a 212 EVO cooler. Thinking one of those might be my upgrade path, still need to do a bit of research

Thanks for the info


Ah, I actually bought a 4670k 2 weeks ago and used an 8350 before that, the 4670k is alot better. You'll want a 4670k, because the 1155 socket has gone into retirement, the 1150 socket has taken its place. The Evo will be ok, but I don't recommend overclocking unless you can afford a h100i or a custom loop.

September 1, 2013 3:59:00 AM

Jonathan Sifleet said:
bbarber718 said:
Jonathan Sifleet said:
I'd still go for the i5 4670k, overclock it a bit, and it should last for a LONG time.

Yes, two sticks of x gb's of RAM will definitely improve performance, I cannot say by how much but it should help.

The 12v rails are what actually power the PC.


I find it interesting that you are actually using an 8350 and recommending the Intel for me. Is it purely because of the purposes of my needs and current situation?

I'm leaning towards the Intel stuff, 3570k or 4670k. I've heard the 4670k runs hotter once you OC it, and I only have a 212 EVO cooler. Thinking one of those might be my upgrade path, still need to do a bit of research

Thanks for the info


Ah, I actually bought a 4670k 2 weeks ago and used an 8350 before that, the 4670k is alot better. You'll want a 4670k, because the 1155 socket has gone into retirement, the 1150 socket has taken its place. The Evo will be ok, but I don't recommend overclocking unless you can afford a h100i or a custom loop.



But if he can get nice watercooling (H100i maybe) He could have an i5 2500k or 3570k oc'd to 5Ghz, the 4670k is a bugger to get past 4.7Ghz, the older ones are cheaper and can be better if you can find a good mobo for them. The stocks are running out fast so you need to make up your mind. But the 1150 socket will live longer and should have better support.

And if the H100i is to much the antec kuhler 620 is a mighty fine cooler for the money! Gets my i5 up to 5.1Ghz (80C max temps) with the corsair push/pull fans
a b à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
September 1, 2013 5:43:47 AM

Adam Young said:
Jonathan Sifleet said:
bbarber718 said:
Jonathan Sifleet said:
I'd still go for the i5 4670k, overclock it a bit, and it should last for a LONG time.

Yes, two sticks of x gb's of RAM will definitely improve performance, I cannot say by how much but it should help.

The 12v rails are what actually power the PC.


I find it interesting that you are actually using an 8350 and recommending the Intel for me. Is it purely because of the purposes of my needs and current situation?

I'm leaning towards the Intel stuff, 3570k or 4670k. I've heard the 4670k runs hotter once you OC it, and I only have a 212 EVO cooler. Thinking one of those might be my upgrade path, still need to do a bit of research

Thanks for the info


Ah, I actually bought a 4670k 2 weeks ago and used an 8350 before that, the 4670k is alot better. You'll want a 4670k, because the 1155 socket has gone into retirement, the 1150 socket has taken its place. The Evo will be ok, but I don't recommend overclocking unless you can afford a h100i or a custom loop.



But if he can get nice watercooling (H100i maybe) He could have an i5 2500k or 3570k oc'd to 5Ghz, the 4670k is a bugger to get past 4.7Ghz, the older ones are cheaper and can be better if you can find a good mobo for them. The stocks are running out fast so you need to make up your mind. But the 1150 socket will live longer and should have better support.

And if the H100i is to much the antec kuhler 620 is a mighty fine cooler for the money! Gets my i5 up to 5.1Ghz (80C max temps) with the corsair push/pull fans

Necro... Kind of.
September 1, 2013 6:50:07 AM

You just think it's too outdated or what? in benchmarks and from my experience the older gen i5's perform better than the 4th gen. All depends on preference and availability in your country.
a b à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
September 1, 2013 6:51:47 AM

I wasn't referring to the CPU.
September 1, 2013 7:40:57 AM

I really don't get u dude, you are 13 and are calling me a necro for no apparent reason.... Please explain and get back to the topic.
a b à CPUs
a b 4 Gaming
September 1, 2013 7:47:30 AM

Adam Young said:
I really don't get u dude, you are 13 and are calling me a necro for no apparent reason.... Please explain and get back to the topic.


Yes, I'm 13, is that a problem? I'm unsure about the sites rules on necro-posting, but most forums don't like if you post on a topic that hasn't had a reply in a month or more.
September 1, 2013 7:55:54 AM

no, i don't care about age, i was just wondering what it was coming from, the thread was not obviously finished, i thought there is no harm in giving a second opinion.
September 1, 2013 10:06:21 AM

Thanks for the opinions everyone. I ended up getting the 4670k and using a 212 EVO to cool it. Have not attempted overclocking yet but plan to in the future
!